Cracked/Leaking Aluminum Keel Seam repair on 1994 Tracker Pro V Deep

bryguy334

Cadet
Hello,

I am having a few issues working out the best course of action to fix an 8 inch crack in the keel seam of my 1994 Tracker Pro V Deep 17. When we left the water this past Sunday we had a good amount of water pouring out of it. I would like to make sure the leak is fixed.

I contacted Tracker boats and they notified me that there is PVC tape between the aluminum keel seam and the hull of the boat. From what I have gathered from similar issues this can cause it to be very hard to weld the crack. The heat will cause the PVC to start fire or melt.

I contacted a trusted marine mechanic and told him the issue. He suggested using Marine Tex to fill the crack. However, I am skeptical that this will be the best fix for the issue. I have no experience with Marine Tex or no knowledge if it will fix the issue.

I was hoping someone could give me a suggestion on whether or not this crack needs to be welded, or if I can use Marine Tex to fix?

The last resort could also be replacing the whole keel seam. If I could order the part from Tracker would this be a big project to undertake? I have contacts who can rivet. I am just not sure about the PVC tape and other items that may go into this repair.

I have attached a few photos. The first is the location of the crack. It is located at the end of the red handled rake. The next photos are the crack up close.

If there is anything else I could post to help, let me know.

Thanks for your help.

IMG_0979.jpg IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I myself would either weld it using a heat shield putty and a bunch of small welds, or drill stop the crack, v-notch it and use epoxy

bryguy334

Cadet
I myself would either weld it using a heat shield putty and a bunch of small welds, or drill stop the crack, v-notch it and use epoxy

Scott,

The suggestion from the marine mechanic I got was to drill stop and use the Marine Tex. I could look into the v-notch as well. Do you think that repair would hold well enough or would you recommend the weld?

Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The keel is a glorified bumper for smacking into stuff. I would weld it, then again all I work with is aluminum and stainless.

bryguy334

Cadet
The keel is a glorified bumper for smacking into stuff. I would weld it, then again all I work with is aluminum and stainless.

Scott,

I forgot to mention previously that we had water coming out of it when we left the lake on Sunday. Does this change your perspective at all? I want to fix the leak as well as the crack.

Thank you,
Bryan

Tnstratofam

Commander
Water will enter the keel area only. The keel should be attached over the hull so any water that does get into the keel never makes it into the bottom of the boat. Unless there is more damage than I'm seeing in your pics.

Scott's repair is the way to go. Although if you can't weld or don't have access to a good welding shop the drill stop, v groove, and epoxy/marine tech method will also work fine.

Last edited: