1985 Skeeter Starfire Rebuild

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Spent another day sanding, and the wife did more grinding. My arms are worn out, glad my wife is 17 years younger then I am and can handle all this better than I can LOL. I came in and collapsed into my recliner and she started putting up some shelving in the closets.

Pusher

Lieutenant
My grandpa told me to marry a younger woman so she can push your wheel chair when you get older. Grandma had something to say about that :)

It's pretty cool yours is interested in helping out on the boat!

How did the races go for you earlier this year?

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My grandpa told me to marry a younger woman so she can push your wheel chair when you get older. Grandma had something to say about that :)

It's pretty cool yours is interested in helping out on the boat!

How did the races go for you earlier this year?

We sat most of this year out for the races, my wife had foot surgery about a month into the season, and it took a while to heal up. We plan on getting back to it next season. Hopefully I won't need a wheel chair, I plan on having weight lose surgery in about 6 months.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Photo of our family.

Attachments

• photo279621.jpg
    photo279621.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

I been filling a few holes in the Bow, did this last week, it has rained from Saturday till yesterday so haven't been able to finish things up. Still have some low spots to level out.

Attachments

• photo279448.jpg
    photo279448.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo280612.JPG
    photo280612.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 1

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Any progress is GOOD progress!!! Nice lookin Family!!!:joyous:

I did what you said by using the peanut butter, first I ground off under the bow and laid new glass so that the peanut butter wouldn't fall through the holes, I also ground down around the holes on the top to get rid of some spider cracks. To smooth everything out I topped it off with some 3M Marine High Strength Fiberglass Filler, I still have a few low spots so I need to do a little more filling, I guess the past owners trolling motor made the glass bend inward since all the wood underneath had rotted and it had no support.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

OK the holes are filled and sanded on the bow and primed, the wife is moving right along with the hull and it's close to where I can start installing all the new wood.

Attachments

• photo280838.JPG
    photo280838.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280839.JPG
    photo280839.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You're getting close. All I can say is you're going to enjoy the "Go Back" a LOT more than the "Tear Out"!!!!:nod::thumb:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You're getting close. All I can say is you're going to enjoy the "Go Back" a LOT more than the "Tear Out"!!!!:nod::thumb:

I know I have taken a while to get to this point with health issues slowing me down, the weather has been bad over the last 2 days with rain. Today it is going to be partly sunny and in the 60's so I will be back at it. I have been planning a deck extension on the top cap and have been looking at a lot of the work that was done on project Fugly and his fiberglass work. I want all of it to look like factory work.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looking good KB, been keeping an eye on the thread. Geez...wish my wife would pick up a grinder much less a vacuum. :eek:

Pusher

Lieutenant
Haha, dangerous kcassells! Mine's not interested either. She still thinks it was a foolish idea to rebuild a fiberglass one at $4k rather than buy a used aluminum Lund at $12k. Oye!

As stated, good looking family. Your daughter is a cutie. She'd have have me rapped around her finger if she was my kid :)

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll be glad when these teens and single digit temps go away.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am still working on this project, I have had health issues for the past two years but doing better. I'll update as I get back on this restore.

Hope you are doing well! Good luck finishing up! I am ready to see how it turns out! Not too many guys on here restoring bass boats, so I find this thread interesting.