1985 Skeeter Starfire Rebuild

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I been looking at going ahead and ordering the wire and colors I will need when I start that step of the rebuild, my question is, for the normal wiring on the boat (not the trolling motor) is 12 AWG heavy enough, no runs will be longer then 9 foot from the fuse box, and most likely shorter. for the Trolling motor, I am using regular heavy 1/0 battery wire from the batteries to the trolling motor.

That is a hard answer to give you on the gauge wire. And that is because it all depends on what you will be running with the wire run. Most use 10 gauge to the control area from the battery and then branch off from there with lesser gauge wires for all the different circuits. And f you haven't bought any wire yet, make sure you buy marine grade wires. It is tinned stranded wire and will help keep wire corrosion down over the years.

I would run marine grade 10 gauge wires (both positive and negative wires) to the helm and then branch off from there if I were rewiring your boat. But that is just my own personal opinion.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No Title

Here are some D.C. Ampacity charts I screen shot some time ago. You may find them helpful to determine conductor size.

Attachments

• photo254989.PNG
    photo254989.PNG
    640.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254990.PNG
    photo254990.PNG
    795 KB · Views: 0

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That is a hard answer to give you on the gauge wire. And that is because it all depends on what you will be running with the wire run. Most use 10 gauge to the control area from the battery and then branch off from there with lesser gauge wires for all the different circuits. And f you haven't bought any wire yet, make sure you buy marine grade wires. It is tinned stranded wire and will help keep wire corrosion down over the years.

I would run marine grade 10 gauge wires (both positive and negative wires) to the helm and then branch off from there if I were rewiring your boat. But that is just my own personal opinion.

I will be running 10 guage wire from the battery to the fuse boxes and ground hub, if not a little heaver, I noticed when I removed all the old wiring from the live well, bilge pumps and courtesy lights they all seemed to be using 14 gauge wire (Factory), I thought that was a little small. I am an Amateur radio operator and like heaver wire for most applications. I have replaced all the courtesy light incandescent bulbs with LED?s so they will not be drawing as much current.

I have new gauges for everything, they came with regular bulbs, but I will be replacing them with LED bulbs also.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I will be running 10 guage wire from the battery to the fuse boxes and ground hub, if not a little heaver, I noticed when I removed all the old wiring from the live well, bilge pumps and courtesy lights they all seemed to be using 14 gauge wire (Factory), I thought that was a little small. I am an Amateur radio operator and like heaver wire for most applications. I have replaced all the courtesy light incandescent bulbs with LED’s so they will not be drawing as much current.

I have new gauges for everything, they came with regular bulbs, but I will be replacing them with LED bulbs also.

Being an Amateur Radio operator, you have to have a good bit electronic knowledge. So with that said, just add up the total current each circuit will need and add in a little fudge factor and then use the wire needed to cover that range. I uses some 14 gauge runs in my boat for LED lights in some storage areas and such knowing there will never ever be any large current draw needed ever. So wire accordingly. JMHO

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Today was a nice day so I got some work done, took the trolling motor foot control apart and cleaned it up then painted it, I'll shoot some shots of it tomorrow when I put it back together. The new motor has a different wiring to it and color code, I have been researching some to make sure I get things right for the speed control potentiometer.

The original trolling motor is a model 730 motorguide
p1193325106950186.jpg

, I replaced just the motor itself with a newer motorguide 897345T90
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My apologies for not posting here in a while, I was trying to get my pontoon ready to do some fishing as the weather here is getting nice and I need to get my fishing fix. While checking everything, I found that the lower unit on my 60hp Evinrude is leaking gear fluid on the pontoon, so I have been looking up part numbers and ordering parts so I can fix it.

I will get back on the bass boat once I get the Evinrude back together, I have a very small work shop, and I have wall to wall parts laying around from the lower unit. I need to get this project done so I can walk around and get to the bass boat parts and tools.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I'm familiar with the shop problem. The itch to fish is getting strong over here too.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
A cluttered shop...NEVER heard of such a thing...

Good grief, is that really your shop WOG? I'm with GM, no way I could work there......you would probably find me in fetal position, over in the corner, sucking my thumb if my garage looked like that. Lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
LOL No Way!!! Just wanted to illustrate the fact that Shops CAN and DO become cluttered to the point that no work can be accomplished. Mine gets bad at times but...NEVER that Bad!!!!:eek::D;)

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
can't things go right just once, I love my boats but what a pain, the darn bearing housing in this old Evinrude is stuck, I guess tomorrow I'll find some chain and make a pulley to get it out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
can't things go right just once, I love my boats but what a pain, the darn bearing housing in this old Evinrude is stuck, I guess tomorrow I'll find some chain and make a pulley to get it out.

Well Carl, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Oh...wait...everybody is dong it. Oh well, it is all part of rebuilding older boats and engines. :thumb:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Remember, NO Good Deed Goes Unpunished!!!!:facepalm:

Tell me about it, I got the bearing housing out today, then I find I don't have a pair of snap right pliers that will reach that deep, so I had to phone a friend that has a pair with the long handle, so I will run by his house tomorrow to get the snap rings out. I want to check the gears and clutch dog and make sure all of that is ok while doing this seal kit install.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Tell me about it, I got the bearing housing out today, then I find I don't have a pair of snap right pliers that will reach that deep, so I had to phone a friend that has a pair with the long handle, so I will run by his house tomorrow to get the snap rings out. I want to check the gears and clutch dog and make sure all of that is ok while doing this seal kit install.

See there is always something new to contend with on any project. That's what makes things interesting. You will get everything fixed and work though. If I can do it, anybody can. :thumb:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got the snap rings out of the Evinrude lower unit with the help of the friend that had the right snap ring pliers for the job, while taking them out, the ear broke off the bottom snap ring, we managed to pry and pull and pry and pull with a pry bar and old broken pare of needle nose and got it out, boats are so much fun to work on, and help expand your vocabulary lol.

Also, I have long been looking for a source for parts for this evinrude as so many parts have been discontinued. Just so happened i have a family member that had a 48HP evinrude about the same year model, he contacted me yesterday and wanted to know if I wanted it for $100. I said heck yes!

I took the lower unit off of it and it's the exact same lower unit I am working on, so I will be putting the seal kit in it because it's in better shape then the one I just took apart. I don't know why, but I always seem to have things come my way like this. I for sure am not complaining.:)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Got the snap rings out of the Evinrude lower unit with the help of the friend that had the right snap ring pliers for the job, while taking them out, the ear broke off the bottom snap ring, we managed to pry and pull and pry and pull with a pry bar and old broken pare of needle nose and got it out, boats are so much fun to work on, and help expand your vocabulary lol.

Also, I have long been looking for a source for parts for this evinrude as so many parts have been discontinued. Just so happened i have a family member that had a 48HP evinrude about the same year model, he contacted me yesterday and wanted to know if I wanted it for $100. I said heck yes!

I took the lower unit off of it and it's the exact same lower unit I am working on, so I will be putting the seal kit in it because it's in better shape then the one I just took apart. I don't know why, but I always seem to have things come my way like this. I for sure am not complaining.:)

See, now you have learned how it goes together (okay comes apart) and have another unit to install. Things seem to work out in the long run. But any learning, "edgumacation" is a good thing. Nobody can ever take that edgumacation away from you. Carry on sir, carry on! :thumb:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
See, now you have learned how it goes together (okay comes apart) and have another unit to install. Things seem to work out in the long run. But any learning, "edgumacation" is a good thing. Nobody can ever take that edgumacation away from you. Carry on sir, carry on! :thumb:

I am still going to rebuild both of them, that way I always have a backup, I will most likely rebuild the 48 horse power head after I finish this bass boat rebuild, that way if the 60hp ever starts having issues, I can slap the 48hp power head on and then rebuild the 60HP.

As for the 50HP mercury that goes on the bass boat, it needs a little work I am sure, I already plan on rebuilding the lower unit and carburetors on it. I will most likely have to do some cleaning up on the wiring, I noticed when I took it off, there was a lot of split insulation from dry rot and rubbing. Right now it's just hanging around on a cherry picker.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hope to have this Evinrude lower unit rebuilt this coming week, I am waiting for the special drive shaft (socket) tool to get the pinion nut off, yeah I could probably use a pipe wrench on the shaft or vice grips on the splines, but I would rather not chance messing up the shaft. I found the tool on ebay for $14, so I will wait for it to come in, plus I can use the time waiting on the part to sandblast the housing and paint it to match the rest of the motor.