1985 Skeeter Starfire Rebuild

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It's always something, I replaced my front CV axles on my 1998 ford Expedition 4x4 back in May of this year, the old ones had torn boots so it was time, here I am 4 months later replacing one side because of a premature boot tare. Thank goodness they have a 10 year guarantee.

The new one is in, so time I could be spending on the Boat restore, i'll be spending today on swamping out the CV axle.

DSC03141.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It's always something, I replaced my front CV axles on my 1998 ford Expedition 4x4 back in May of this year, the old ones had torn boots so it was time, here I am 4 months later replacing one side because of a premature boot tare. Thank goodness they have a 10 year guarantee.

The new one is in, so time I could be spending on the Boat restore, i'll be spending today on swamping out the CV axle.

DSC03141.JPG

kb5fx, one thing you will see in most every boat rebuild or refurbishing thread is Life gets in the way when we are boat building. It is never planned on, but does shows up all the time. Another interesting phenomena is the initial cost we projected, it is usually doubled by the time we get done. We are usually optimistic creatures and make things sound better then reality when in the planning stages. :facepalm:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got the CV axle swapped out, but I must have gremlins, because I don't remember tightening the bolts that tight when I installed the other one. they only torque down to 60 Foot Lbs, they wouldn't come loose with the impact wrench, I had to use a break-over bar.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I got the CV axle swapped out, but I must have gremlins, because I don't remember tightening the bolts that tight when I installed the other one. they only torque down to 60 Foot Lbs, they wouldn't come loose with the impact wrench, I had to use a break-over bar.

Okay now that you have that fixed, back to the boat. :D

Pusher

Lieutenant
I had a CPA certification, timing belt change in a Toyota Tundra, a shower remodel, and a job change ... My boat's not done yet, needless to say. You'll get there.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will get on it Sunday, we have the last race of the season Friday and Saturday at Batesville Motor Speedway. My wife is the track Photographer and I am the webmaster. $10,000 to win street stock race.

http://www.batesvillemotorspeedway.com

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My apologies to everyone for not posting recently, I have not been able to get any work done on the skeeter of late, I have had an ear infection that I would not wish on a worst enemy. I have been using ear drops and antibiotics and this week it is finally gating better, but I am having some dizziness I am trying to overcome.

If any of you get what appears to be like a fever blister in the ear canal, go straight to the Dr.

The next 3 days are going to be in the 70's and I am hoping I can get back to work as long as I can keep my balance.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My apologies to everyone for not posting recently, I have not been able to get any work done on the skeeter of late, I have had an ear infection that I would not wish on a worst enemy. I have been using ear drops and antibiotics and this week it is finally gating better, but I am having some dizziness I am trying to overcome.

If any of you get what appears to be like a fever blister in the ear canal, go straight to the Dr.

The next 3 days are going to be in the 70's and I am hoping I can get back to work as long as I can keep my balance.

Very sorry to hear (pun certainly not intended) of your situation and hoping you recover quickly and without any remaining issues. Life does take presidences every time over our planned boat refurbishing schedule. Just remember, the boat will still be there waiting for you whee your are feeling better. Any time you have ear issueses, your balance and dizziness will happen. And that is the worst feeling ever.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I'm glad you were able to finish your races up before having to fight that. You can't really "man up" through that stuff.

Slager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've never had an ear infection that I can remember, but I know how not feeling well takes away motivation to work on the boat. I had a cold recently and pretty much all boat progress came to a halt for a week and a half. I hope you continue to get better quickly.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I guess I owe everyone an update, this is not my year for health. I have not been able to get any more work done on the Skeeter because I have a bulging disk (C3-C4) in my neck causing a great deal of pain into my right shoulder down my right arm and into my fingers, with some numbness. I have seen a number of Dr. and have finally been able to get an MRI scheduled and will see a neurological surgeon afterword to see what my options are to get this fixed.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I guess I owe everyone an update, this is not my year for health. I have not been able to get any more work done on the Skeeter because I have a bulging disk (C3-C4) in my neck causing a great deal of pain into my right shoulder down my right arm and into my fingers, with some numbness. I have seen a number of Dr. and have finally been able to get an MRI scheduled and will see a neurological surgeon afterword to see what my options are to get this fixed.

Sorry to hear of your pain and neck issues. Lots of folks have that issue as well. But then do have some great surgeons to fix things like that and make you free of pain. Just remember, you have to take care of yourself first ad then other things later on. The boat will certainly be there once you are ready to work on it again. Follow the doctor's orders ad once all fixed up, then attack the boat again.

Oh! I do have a few #11 Exacto Blades and some of them don't even have rust on them yet as well. So if you want me to fix your neck, let me know. A lot cheaper then the usual way. No I am not a doctor or surgeon, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night either. But with access to the net, I believe I can fix you right up. Just let me know. :laugh: :pound:

Pusher

Lieutenant
If you need a nurse I can help. I was roommates with three nurses and my dad was a paramedic so that's close enough right?!?

In case you smoke it is best to quit that until after the surgery. My buddy got his done from the back because he couldn't quit. A year later they went back in from the front after he quit to redo things cause it still hurt too much. In the end he feels/looks much better.

I hope you can get the process moving along quickly and feel better soon. I've never heard anyone have a cake walk with bad disks so you're right to let the boat rest. You wouldn't want to cruise in it if it was done anyway.

At least it came on after the races right?!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I've had 3 laminectomies!!!! The last one resulted in a fusion with metal plates and screws. ALL were successful. Make SURE you get a good surgeon. Ask for references!!! Fortunately I had GREAT Insurance.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The Dr office finally got me in to have an MRI, I have a narrowing of c2/c3 and a herniated disk at c6/c7. Now all I have to do is wait for my Doctor to setup the appointment with the Neurosurgeon so I can get this fixed and get back to work on the boat. I hate all the delays, I have work to do.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The Dr office finally got me in to have an MRI, I have a narrowing of c2/c3 and a herniated disk at c6/c7. Now all I have to do is wait for my Doctor to setup the appointment with the Neurosurgeon so I can get this fixed and get back to work on the boat. I hate all the delays, I have work to do.

We all have delays in our builds. But you have to make sure you are fixed before you an fix other things. So take care of yourself first, then the boat will come later. And it will always be there for you when you are better.

I don't offer this for everyone, but I still have a few semi-rusted #11 Exacto blades and can do your back surgery if you like. The cost will be minimal and there is no wait. I don't have a line of folks ahead of you presently. Just an offer if you don't want to wait. Don't worry about the rusty #11 blades, I can sand that little bit of rust off first, and then use some lacquer thinner to clean them up. So don't worry about the that. :loco:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We all have delays in our builds. But you have to make sure you are fixed before you an fix other things. So take care of yourself first, then the boat will come later. And it will always be there for you when you are better.

I don't offer this for everyone, but I still have a few semi-rusted #11 Exacto blades and can do your back surgery if you like. The cost will be minimal and there is no wait. I don't have a line of folks ahead of you presently. Just an offer if you don't want to wait. Don't worry about the rusty #11 blades, I can sand that little bit of rust off first, and then use some lacquer thinner to clean them up. So don't worry about the that. :loco:

I think I?ll pass on the exacto blades, nothing personal lol. I have no choice on waiting to get me fixed first, I can hardly lift my right arm, so I can't hold a grinder right now.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey wait a minute there now GM.:hand: I thought you were coming up here to Montana to fix my back first? What's this now, are you taking lessons from the VA on how to keep appointments?:rant:

I'm just kidding of course. But it sounded too funny in my head not to type it out.:tongue-new:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hey wait a minute there now GM.:hand: I thought you were coming up here to Montana to fix my back first? What's this now, are you taking lessons from the VA on how to keep appointments?:rant:

I'm just kidding of course. But it sounded too funny in my head not to type it out.:tongue-new:

I was going to drive by on the way up there. It doesn't take me long to do those surgeries. I mean a loptop computer explaining where to cut and it is done in no time. How difficult can it be? Open up the back and look-see what doesn't look like it should. Then cut those problemed areas out, staple you back together, add a little super glue and WALA...finished. I don't see any future complains either. :D :high5: