1985 Skeeter Starfire Rebuild

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The heat index has been in the 100's the past two days, much to hot for a tyvek hood and coveralls, so I have been working on other parts of the boat that I can do inside the house. Yesterday I dissembled the outboard remote and cleaned up all the gummy grease. I also found that the throttle only button shaft was broke. I found a replacement and ordered 2 of them just to have a spare, as mercury no longer makes parts for this remote.

DSC03106b.JPG

DSC03107bb.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The heat index has been in the 100's the past two days, much to hot for a tyvek hood and coveralls, so I have been working on other parts of the boat that I can do inside the house. Yesterday I dissembled the outboard remote and cleaned up all the gummy grease. I also found that the throttle only button shaft was broke. I found a replacement and ordered 2 of them just to have a spare, as mercury no longer makes parts for this remote.

DSC03106b.JPG

DSC03107bb.JPG

I like your style. I do the same things when I get in a situation that I can't control. The heat is one such issue. Taking things apart and servicing them is a great way to get things ready. Not only do you see if there are parts to purchase, but you learn so much as well. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have found another thing I need for the Motor, when I got this boat and motor, the hydraulic pump was missing for the tilt/trim cylinders. I have a relative with a friend that bought a LARGE boat, and it had the exact pump I need just laying on the deck, not even hooked up, he didn't want it. So, now it's mine, the complete pump with cylinders attached.

So now I have 2 extra cylinders as spares.

Oh yeah, it was free!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, you can't get much better then "Free". Some times things fall into your hands, don't question why. :thumb:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Another Score, a family member had a 45 lb thrust trolling motor he didn't need, it's an older motor craft with hotfoot, it works great and it was free.

trol.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Can't get better then Free, especially when it is still working good. I am working on finishing up a Motor Guide III with the steering cable assembly. I rebuilt it and it looks new now as well as runs great. If you get any other "Free" things you don't need, I can take them off you hands. :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh yes the fun begins. Since you are removing a very large portion of the flotation foam, I assume you are going to go back with mix and pour as their replacements. :noidea: It gets even better when you start the grinding work. Words will come to mind that you may never before thought about. But others have gone before you and survived and so will you. Make sure you use the proper PPE or after the first day you will wish you did. JMHO

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh yes the fun begins. Since you are removing a very large portion of the flotation foam, I assume you are going to go back with mix and pour as their replacements. :noidea: It gets even better when you start the grinding work. Words will come to mind that you may never before thought about. But others have gone before you and survived and so will you. Make sure you use the proper PPE or after the first day you will wish you did. JMHO

Oh yes, I will be replacing all the foam I remove, I may do something different with the 2 big foam boxes in the back, I am having to remove all of those just so I can get to the transom. I may go back with a different type of enclosure to hold the foam back there.

I have full PPE, I have full tyvek coveralls with hoods, with eye protection and respirator with a hookup to a clean air line.

I will not be sacrificing safety, on the boat or on me.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the engine remote back together and lubricated. I have re-done the starter switch wiring it was not up to my standards, all wires have new connectors that are crimped, soldered, and heat shrieked.

DSC08888.JPG

DSC08890.JPG

DSC08892.JPG

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
very nice job on the wires :) and yeah that remote is a pita I cleaned mine in purple stuff for a few days before I touched it , cool part is you can go from side mount to top mount with same remote just by changing the handle and adding the top mount binnacle parts

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice work on the control and the ignition switch. Seems you do things like I do. Cleaned, repaired, lubed, painted and ready to go again. I like refurbishing things to make them look and work like new again. It is a curse....I think.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just a short update, still removing the old foam. It has been to hot in the day, so I am working at night. I'll post some updated pics soon.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just to let everyone know, I haven't given up on the skeeter, I have ordered a few tools to help me in demolition. I picked up a sawzall on sell at harbor fright for $49 on sale and used a 25% off coupon, I ordered a multi cutting tool and blades, I got the tool and I am waiting on the blades to come in. I have almost all of the foam out now, i will get the rest out with the grinder.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just to let everyone know, I haven't given up on the skeeter, I have ordered a few tools to help me in demolition. I picked up a sawzall on sell at harbor fright for $49 on sale and used a 25% off coupon, I ordered a multi cutting tool and blades, I got the tool and I am waiting on the blades to come in. I have almost all of the foam out now, i will get the rest out with the grinder.

Ha, what ever it takes. I used so many different tools to disassemble my rotted wood and foam that what ever tool seems to be the better job at the time was it. But hang with it and post those progress pictures. We love pictures for sure. :thumb: