1984 Skeeter Starfire Gelcoat/clear coat flaking/peeling

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I have a 1984 17' skeeter, the sides/underside of the boat are in immaculate condition, however the top cap is flaking off what appears to be clear coat. The metal flake/paint underneath of it looks to be in great shape no gouges/scratches... just that irritation clear coat spots where it has peeled up a little..... I went fishing the other night, and sprayed it off at the car wash (covered in fish slime) and the "clear coat" just sprayed off basically big chunks of it just flying everywhere..

Can I just remove the clear coat, and rubbing compound/buff/polish the living hell out of it to achieve the "shiny new affect"
If so, can anyone give me some tips/tricks on removing this flaking stuff, aside from peeling it off with my fingernails?

Or am I looking at going to have to respray clear coat on this thing?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Clear gel coat doesn't typically peel off, so it's probably been repainted with clear. Yes you can take it off, may not be easy though.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It just depends on the condition of the gel coat once you remove the clear paint. If the flake is exposed (you can feel it) buffing doesn't help much, but if the clear layer was just dull you can buff it and see what happens.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
It feels smooth just like the clear does. It just isn't as shiny. Would you recommend re spraying clear or just a buff and polish? A friend of mine said spray it with high solids clear coat but I wanted other opinions.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Clear coating rarely works for long, it normally ends up just like what you are experiencing.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought a DA polisher today, and some 3m finesse, going to give it a shot in the spots that have peeled up and see if I can live with it without the clear coat. Appreciate it Ondarvr.

hunterclark

Recruit
I have a 97 skeeter with the same problem. Did just removing the clear coat and buffing the gel coat work?? My gel coat feels smooth just does not shine.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Flake it off, I've been doing it with a razor knife, it is time consuming, but once you buff it, looks even better than before. I recommend it, but like I said it's gonna take awhile. I can post some pics of it if you would like before and afters.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am beginning to wonder if Skeeter was spraying clear-coat in the 80's, Mine is the same way as are others that have said theirs are doing the same thing.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't say for certain they were..... but every skeeter from that era I have personally seen has flaking clear coat.... Either someone was sneaking around clear coating our boats while we slept.... or Skeeter was doing this from the factory... I know that flaking it off is a pain in the ass, and very time consuming... but if you take the time to peel it off (paint scraper, razor knife,???) and lightly buff it with some compound, and then wax, it'll look like a showroom floor boat. I've done about 1/4 of mine so far and your wife could put makeup on while looking at it. It's a mirror.