Restoring vs replacing seats

Hi, I recently purchased a 2002 Astro 1850sf (Fish and Ski type) and the seats are in horrible condition. They are cracked, tearing apart at the seams, and several have large rips. At this point I just want an economical option, and am debating recovering vs replacing. I am getting some prices on re-upholstering them locally, but haven't had any luck finding seat covers (like the ones you use in a truck) or replacement seats. I believe that Astro was bought our by Procraft several years ago, are there any companies that do generic replacement seats?
Thanks!

meder24

Seaman
I replaced my seats last year with an aftermarket brand. There are tons of replacement seat options all over the internet.
However, my boat was very basic in style, so it was easy to find replacements. The more custom your interior is makes it harder to find unfortunately.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, iBoats sells about every kind of seat you can think of. Some of the fishing boats, do have custom seat configurations soooo you may have to get them recovered. Depending on how they're made it may or may not be more economical to have them Re-Upholstered. Get some quotes for that, and then get on iBoats and other sites to see how the prices compare.

Twhjelmgren28

Seaman
I replaced the vinyl on my seats a couple of years ago - one of them had a mouse nest dug into it. I think we did it for about $60.00 in a 16' boat and just used replacement vinyl from an overstock store and a staple gun.

I will say it was no small small job (we re-upholstered 6 seats) but it's definitely doable. It really looks nice and was economical. It was time consuming but not hard per se.

Last edited:

Twhjelmgren28

Seaman
I just wanted to add that I didn't really have an option of replacement seats and I think I would have definitely considered that had I had the option. I'm guessing the cheapest route is re-upholstering yourself, however.

Also, my seats were fairly basically shaped (the pieces to them were essentially square shaped).

Last edited: