rotted floor problem and solution

I took this boat in as a trade against money owed. I noticed the floor was soft and pulled the carpet to find the gellcoat had been cut away. The floor is rotted and there is a split up the middle of the floor. I see no way of removing the flooring due to the type of injection molding used in construction. So, first question. Does it make since to epoxy the exposed fiberglass wood area with a filler? My thinking is to fill the void and then come over top with a 1/4 inch plywood flooring, which I'll Valspar and then carpet.
My second thought is to fill the void with 1/8 inch material cut to fit, epoxy it in and then come over the top of that with the 1/4 inch ply and carpet. While not the greatest solutions I think coming on top , the 1/4 inch ply will ride on whats left of the gell coat and should last a couple of years anyway. Its not an expensive boat and if I could get a few years out of it I'd be happy. Thoughts?? Its been forever since I fooled about with apoxy. DSCF3351.JPG

pckeen

Commander
No it doesn't. Take a look at some of fiberglass boat restoration threads, and you'll get an idea on what needs to be done for a proper restoration. If you have soft floors, this isn't a surface plywood problem - it's a sign that the structure of the boat beneath the surface plywood is rotten, and needs to be rebuilt. A restoration is a major job. Basically, by glassing over the top and putting in a thin layer of plywood, all you'll be doing is hiding the problem from a future buyer. It would be like re-shingling a roof that has rotten rafters: it'll be prettier for a short while, but the roof will still collapse.

Unfortunately, if the boat is in this condition, it has very little value. If it came with a trailer and running motor, then it may be worth either turning round and re-selling as is, or parting it out. The parts will be worth more than the package will be as a whole.