Boat mod help

Shdonttalksh

Recruit
Hey guys I'm having an issue. I just bought a 12' 1981 sea nymph. I was thinking about putting a floor in it but the middle seat gets in the way. I know this topic has been covered before and I searched the net and found ideas on removing it and what not. But the problem I'm having is I haven't seen a middle seat set up like the one I have. It has brackets like things holding it on the bottom and the sides on top.

Do you think this seat can be removed or modified in anyway? I'm looking to get a more open floor as it will just mainly be me fishing . It's not allowing me to upload a pic of what I'm talking about. I will keep trying but any input would be great thanks

Kern Fischer

Seaman
Without inspecting the boat in person, I can only offer an opinion of a mechanical engineer (automotive).

From your picture it appears like the center seat is a significant portion of the structure of the boat. Removal without some other form of structure would probably allow the sides to flex and would result in deformation of the hull.

That is not to say you could not remove it, but you would have to replace it with some kind of framing that would serve a similar structural function. This framing could be kept low to the bottom so you would gain the center space you desire. I would be inclined to create the center framing and build a sub floor that would run from the front seat to the rear seat and cover the framing, thus having an open center and a large floor area.

The center seat may also have some internal flotation and you could add flotation under the sub floor.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
+1 to what Kern mentioned

That in mind to remove them are those brackets welded or riveted?

If rivets - drill them out, remove brackets, use the holes to tie in new structural support or fill them in (rivets/JB weld/marinetex), and continue boat building.

If welded - cut them out and grind away the welds or as much as possible.

For more help perhaps post a closer view of how they are attached.

Shdonttalksh

Recruit
+1 to what Kern mentioned

That in mind to remove them are those brackets welded or riveted?

If rivets - drill them out, remove brackets, use the holes to tie in new structural support or fill them in (rivets/JB weld/marinetex), and continue boat building.

If welded - cut them out and grind away the welds or as much as possible.

For more help perhaps post a closer view of how they are attached.

They are rivited in there so I would just have to what take like a chisel or something of the sort and pop the heads off?

Shdonttalksh

Recruit
Without inspecting the boat in person, I can only offer an opinion of a mechanical engineer (automotive).

From your picture it appears like the center seat is a significant portion of the structure of the boat. Removal without some other form of structure would probably allow the sides to flex and would result in deformation of the hull.

That is not to say you could not remove it, but you would have to replace it with some kind of framing that would serve a similar structural function. This framing could be kept low to the bottom so you would gain the center space you desire. I would be inclined to create the center framing and build a sub floor that would run from the front seat to the rear seat and cover the framing, thus having an open center and a large floor area.

The center seat may also have some internal flotation and you could add flotation under the sub floor.

Thanks for he input for the framing of the floor would that just be made of wood? And would it matter that those top brackets are high up there and the floor would be so low?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Blah, blah - drill them out, blah, click, whistle.

That referred to the rivets.

I prefer that to popping the heads with a chisel as there is less chance of distorting the hole. Though in your case if you're not putting anything back then it shouldn't matter.

Your best bet for replacement structure is to make some boxes along the side like this

You could also do some framing out of wood or AL like this

Shdonttalksh

Recruit
Ok I got the seat out I just went the chisel route and popped the heads off. The sides don't flex at all that I can notice with the seat out. Will that be different when I'm on the water?
I'm not planning on taking it on any lake or pond that has alot of wake mainly just small lakes/ponds that only allow electric motors.

I do like that first picture that you uploaded there looks like you could gain some storage space.