Aluminum Boat Restoration Help

NoNiMar

Recruit
I'm brand new to iBoats Forums so please bare with me.

I recently bought a 1979 12" (C-12?) Aluminum Lund boat. First, I would like to give it a new paint job, specifically the freeboard area (previously painted). I intend to first pressure wash it, remove painted over decal, lightly go over with a brass wire brush (for drill), then pressure wash it. Following, I'd spray self-etching primer (aerosol) over bare aluminium areas, apply primer (aerosol or spray gun), then finish with Marine paint (sprayed).

*Spraying with High Volume Low Pressure gun*
**Already existing layer of paint over original**

My questions are:
- The Lund logo is painted over (attached pic). Can it remove it with a heat gun, brass brush it, or just leave it and prime right over it?
- Are there flaws in my plans or ways to improve upon it?

Thanks!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
:welcome: to iboats NoNiMar!

No pics but get a few more posts in and they should show up, seems you have the process right but I'll add.

Remove the decal with heat or one of these or something similar.

The key is to remove any loose paint then sand any chips to feather the edges to give your new paint a flat surface so it looks smooth.

NoNiMar

Recruit
:welcome: to iboats NoNiMar!

No pics but get a few more posts in and they should show up, seems you have the process right but I'll add.

Remove the decal with heat or one of these or something similar.

The key is to remove any loose paint then sand any chips to feather the edges to give your new paint a flat surface so it looks smooth.

Sorry about that! I had to reduce the quality so it would be under the file size limit. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 0