Testing for leaks?

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings,
I have an old 1986 Chris Craft Scorpion that has about 700 hours on it, with a 260 mercruiser and alpha one. At the end of the season last year, when the boat was getting the it's winter service, my mechanic noticed a bit of water under the middle of the boat. He thought maybe the hull had a leak, and we have had some little bit of water in the bilge over the season during our outings. Nothing too bad, but the bilge pump would come on. Mechanic was not sure where it was coming from.... So, now that's it is time to think about going boating, I went looking for the leak. I put the plug in added some water to the bilge under the motor, and lifted the front end up, let it sit for a while, no leaks on the floor. Lowered the front end, and let it sit, and still nothing on the floor. Wondering if there could be a leak on the side, that would not let water out from the center when I put water in the bilge, but water getting in from the side of the hull, and then leaking down through the stringers, and into the bilge under the motor? I am was thinking in the area where the runners on the trailer sit up against the hull?
Anyway to check this? Or is it just a visual inspection, and patch any area that looks thin???

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
unfortuneatly your boat most likely has water logged foam from years of water intrusion.

I would look for any marks on the bottom of the hull and be inspecting everywhere I could from inside the boat.

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for input. Is there a way to get the boat up off the bunks on the trailer to look for issues, without getting a fork lift?
I want to inspect everywhere I can, but not sure I can see where the boat sits on the trailer......
I will lift out the floor ice chest and other access and see if I see anything. Any real way of drying the foam? At least this past winter and now it's inside a heated shop.
Thanks

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Once the foam is wet, it's shot. It will take forever to dry and it probably never will completely dry out. Even worse, the closed cell structure of the foam is clearly compromised, so it will absorb water anytime it is exposed. The only cure is to remove the foam.

Unfortunately, depending on the boat's construction, whatever is in contact with the foam (e.g., wooden stringers and bulkheads) is likely to be wet, too. That's not a 100% certainty, but with a boat of that age, there's a pretty good chance.