Replacing pontoon table tops - Materials?

BPBP440

Recruit
I just bought a 1994 Crest Pontoon boat and am replacing the old table tops. They are ~3/4" thick and have a thin hard gray layer on one side and a hard darker layer on the other. It appears to be bulk material that Crest cut their tops from, and then wrapped the edges. Does anyone know of some same or similar available sheet stock I can start with? - Thanks

Rear table over motor and sink station on side (shown in stock picture).
Old over the motor table shown in pic #2.

Bro Pic 1.jpg

Attachments

• Bro Pic 1.jpg
    Bro Pic 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 0

BPBP440

Recruit
Old Table.jpg

It is not like typical compressed board formica topped counter top, but rather plywood. I can certainly build this from 3/4 plywood and formica laminate, but if such a thing is readily available in premade sheet stock, I would go that route.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

It is not like typical compressed board formica topped counter top, but rather plywood. I can certainly build this from 3/4 plywood and formica laminate, but if such a thing is readily available in premade sheet stock, I would go that route.

Formica laminate is formica laminate no mater which substrate it was glued onto. some cheaper pre-made counters are made from MDF, however most custom ones are built on-site using plywood and laminate. you can probably contact a local cabinet and counter shop if they can get pre-made, or make some for you.

Here is a google search https://www.google.com/search?q=plywood+formica&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 looks like you can buy what you want from a few places, including home depot, however it is not exterior grade.

However if it was me, and I needed to match existing tops in the boat, I would build in place. If I had to redo the whole boat, I would probably go with a section of teak decking on a fiberglass backer board. Formica is so 1970's

I will not do brushed stainless again - too easy to dent, too reflective in the sun.

aspeck

Staff member
I have done similar applications and rather than pre-made, would just make it myself. That way you can be sure of the quality. Start with marine grade plywood and a high quality sheet of formica.