Best coating for fiberglass boat floor

Coach Cal

Cadet
Hey folks, new to the forum and a relatively new boat owner. I'm taking on my first project boat and looking for suggestions for lining the floor. My boat is a 16ft 1973 Seaswirl V-Hull. When I bought, it had a thick vinyl floor covering. It was brittle from decades of exposure to the elements so I removed it. I'm trying to decide what route to go with the floor. I know I don't want carpet...I will primarily use my boat for fishing so I want something that's easy to clean. I've heard of people using roll on or spray on truck bed liner, but I'm not too excited about a black floor. It would get way too hot in the summer.

Do you all have my suggestions? Something you have used in the past with success? My requirements are 1) not black, 2) textured 3) fairly simple application and 4) relatively inexpensive.

I don't mind putting some elbow grease into it for the prep work and application. Something that is roll on or brush on would be ideal, as I don't have easy access to an air compressor and spray gun at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Simple, easy, long lasting, and non skid, gel coat does a good job. Tuff coat and other softer coatings work too.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree about the gelcoat but... they do make the bedliner in white!!! Some people Like it others....Not so much. It seems to have Peeling issues in the Marine environment. Gelcoat on the other hand is very durable but if not well maintained will stain over time with fish blood etc... Lot of the fishermen seem to opt for the vinyl flooring.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have used Tuff Coat on my boat

So far so good. but it has only been a couple of weeks.

Mod EDIT: Please remember Iboats is an online retailer and dont post links or references to their competitors. The server auto edits the links, so it went to a blank page Isaac.​

Last edited by a moderator: