2010 Larson hair line crack

usmarkos

Cadet
Getting my boat ready for the summer and i noticed a small hairline crack in the fiberglass near the windshield about 2 inches long. Is there anything I can do or is this a job left for the fiberglass shop? I am worried it may get worse as the summer goes!

MI_Pirate

Seaman Apprentice
Don't panic. It sounds like a simple gelcoat stress crack. Check with Larson to see if they sell a gelcoat repair paste kit. You use a dremel or a sharp tool to make the crack a little wider (so that the repair paste will stick properly), fill it up with the paste, let it cure, sand it, and then buff. In most cases, the repair is invisible.

Don't panic. It should be non structural. Your dealer can fix it for you, but they are going to do what I said above for about 40 times the cost of a DIY repair.

Go boating. Have fun. Don't worry. Be happy. ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Pics of the Crack will help the members confirm the above diagnosis and lead to the best solutions.;):nod:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Where does it seem to originate from? Back off just a bit further to give a better perspective.

usmarkos

Cadet
It starts on the inside of the window frame goes under frame and stops where the pic shows

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah, most factory's don't chamfer the holes where the screws go in. That results in a crack like that. Not to bad to repair though.