Plywood Transom Rebuild

Mtgmonte

Cadet
Hello all ! I'm brand new to this and determined to restore my boat of course. However, im stumped on the transom rebuild. I'm working with plywood and long story short, my transom has an angle in it. The wood Is extremely difficult to bend to the shape and I'm reaching out for the correct way it should be done. It was plywood before I tore it out due to massive rot. I'll upload pictures if t helps.
Thank you all so much.

Mtgmonte

Cadet
Thank you for the speedy response JB. Do you have a preferred website to upload pix ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I use Photobucket, but there are others.

Look for the IMG code when you upload pix to the 3rd party site. Copy and paste that code into your posts.

jbcurt00

Staff member
You posted a link to your library of pix, not an individual pix. But here's 1 of your pix

Look for the Share button for each pix. Click that, then click Get links. That should pull up a list that shows an IMG code. Thats what you want to post

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Anytime a transom has a curve or angles it's necessary to make multiple layers from thinner laminates. In your case, I'd recommend using 1/4" ext. grade plywood It will bend to shape easily when clamped to the outer skin. Once the first two layers are installed you'll have a 1/2" base that you can then use deck screws to "Screw Clamp" the subsequent layers to. 6 layers will give you the 1 1/2 thickness you need. It's a bit more tedious but just about the only way to do it. You could also use 1/2" and use a circular saw to cut 1/4" deep Kerfs into it and let the PB fill the kerfs when you clamp it onto the outer skin. You'll use a lot more PB but your transom will be Really strong when your done. You'd only need 3 layers doing it this way.