How do I fix this mistake? Or is it possible?

72cheyenne

Seaman Apprentice
Alright I have a 1983 Nordic Crestline. I am doing a transom and floor replacement. In the process of cutting out the last section of old floor, I pulled this one of cutting through the entire boat. What would be the bestime way of going about fixing this and strengthening it? Any help would reeeaaallly be appreciated.
Thanks
Nigel

Attachments

• photo244778.jpg
    photo244778.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
No Problem!! I KNOW it looks bad but with fiberglass it really isn't!!!;) This happens ALL THE TIME!!!

Put some duct tape over the outside. On the inside sand both sides of the cut with 40 grit and feather the glass down towards the cut and back about 3" on both sides. Clean it all up with Acetone. You glass layup will be 1 layer of CSM 1 Layer of 1708 done 3 times. First strip of each will be 2" wide, next 4" and last 6". On the outside, You'll do a similar repair only you'll only need 1 Layer of CSM and 1708 and a final layer of CSM on top. Then sand and fair with fairing material (filler) Only sand about 3" wide on the outside. finish with 2-3 coats of gelcoat or paint. DONE!!!

72cheyenne

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. I was a little worried about this one. what do you use for fairing material? Also do i want to fill the cut with anything or does the resin just seep through to fill it? Last question, is polyester resin fine to use on it?
Thank you

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Feather down = "bevel" the edges to form a VERY wide V, grinding down to the gelcoat along the cut.

If the glass is 1/4 inch thick at the cut, then you would bevel out appx 2.5 to 3 inches EACH SIDE of the cut. Then you lay in the progressively wider strips of cloth, 50% of each strip overlapping each side of the cut.

With the duct tape holding the pieces in alignment, you'll have to come back and grind out a bit of the patch on the opposite side then repair the gelcoat for a repair that may be impossible to find. (if you get a perfect gelcoat match)

72cheyenne

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, really good info. Would I be ok using polyester resin for that ?(I already have it) orshould I use epoxy resin?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
For the repairs explained above both were talking about using Polyester resin.

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright I have a 1983 Nordic Crestline. I am doing a transom and floor replacement. In the process of cutting out the last section of old floor, I pulled this one of cutting through the entire boat. What would be the bestime way of going about fixing this and strengthening it? Any help would reeeaaallly be appreciated.
Thanks
Nigel

Been there done that! Cutting out a stringer & didn't realize how close to the hull I was. Mine was about 2' long. I used a product called Marine Tex to fill the gap. Then done the above procedure putting 2 or 3 layers of glass on both sides of the hull. Seems like the end of the world just after you do it though right?

72cheyenne

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the replies. And yes it does seem like the end of the world. I really appreciate all of the advice. Now I can fix it and get this project back on track.