1985 170 horizon

1st timer53

Cadet
First timer here, started ripping out the floor. Read and heard lots of things telling me what I should do. Lost!! Let's go 1@time. Please help

Attachments

• photo245181.jpg
    photo245181.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245182.jpg
    photo245182.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats!!!

Sooo what's your plans? Deck, Stringers and Transom replacement??? Check the 2nd Link in my signature line.

1st timer53

Cadet
Plan is for whatever it takes. I'm 38, wife and 2 kids I don't want to worry our safety on the water.

1st timer53

Cadet
Just not sure if I can get this do with just some extra hands here and there. Have space, just your basic house hold tools plus some extras. Can I do this

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It all depends on your Stick-to-It-tivedness!!! We've had a LOT of NEWB's that never owned a boat or done any kind of Fiberglass work before and in they've done some amazing work with basic tools and a lot of effort. If you like the boat, don't mind Hot, Itchy, dirty work and have the desire to see a project thru to the bitter end...then the guys here on the forum will MAKE SURE you get all the advice and info you need to "Get er Dun!!!!!";)

1st timer53

Cadet
Roger that! I am all in. I'll get those pics on as soon as I can figure that out. I do have a friend who does glass work and he does it well. As far as the other work it will be all of us here on iboats. As soon as I shed this cold I'll be back at it.

1st timer53

Cadet
What's the trick to uploading pictures on here? The icky bug is just about gone. Made room in the garage. Ready?

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
1st Timer: Open a Photobucket account, its free! Upload your photos there, open them within the program, then simply cut/paste them into your posts here on iBoats. Its simple really!

Frey

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
It can be done. I have been working on mine with no help.Their just waiting for me to finish it :cold:, then take it away from me :facepalm:.
It may take some time though.

Best tools at min. HF grinder, and full face mask (you can get by with a half mask). And the Itch.

Let see grinder, SawZaw, Drill, Hole Saws, Full face respirator, Tyvec Coveralls, Buckets, Stirrers, ear plugs, etc.

Theres a sticky on posting photo's. Most use Photobucket.

Will follow along.

1st timer53

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo245180.jpg
    photo245180.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245181.jpg
    photo245181.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245182.jpg
    photo245182.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 0

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you use a circular saw try to cut just deck deep and remember what may be on the other side.

Don't worry if you do cut the hull its fiberglass and can be repaired.

1st timer53

Cadet
Deck is out in **** put area, that is how I did. I'm thinking I should take side panels off so there out the way. Under the bow is good, ski well not so good. Hard to see it in the pic but it is cracked. The other pics are show the deck area out. What's next?

1st timer53

Cadet
170 horizon by 1st timer53

Darn polland, darn cold, darn rain. Want to work on the boat!! Thanks for all the help so far!! Enjoy the rest of yer's Sundays!!
Not sure where to go from here,

jbcurt00

Staff member
No need to start a new topic, merged w oroginal 170 Horizon topic.

Not sure what you're asking about whats next

Last edited:

1st timer53

Cadet
Trust is my biggest issue here. Never had a boat, never worked on a boat. Love the idea of being a boat owner. Lots of unknown. Dig foam out would be the next step I think but I'm just not sure. Thanks to all that have already helped, you have done more then my fiends that own boats who are to busy for pointers and how 2s. Thanks again!!

1st timer53

Cadet
52ford52? Am I to dig out foam? Or just let it dry for awhile. Was super wet, now it seems better but I don't know. Replacing the deck and anything else the should be replaced while it's off was the plan. I read up on the how too, still a bit lost. Before I go deeper I need more pointers and more reading.
Thanks so much iboaters

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Foam does not dry out, or in other words once saturated the foam will suck up water.It will need to be removed. Its best to replace it with a close cell type foam. There are plenty of question on the 'foam in boats' on this forum.

If you need to check use a 2" plastic pipe from the hardware store, Cut teeth into one end like a hole saw.

The foam should look dry on top but down near the bottom it may be wet. Its like core drilling your transom and stringers, your hunting for area of moisture/water.

1st timer53

Cadet
Thank 52 ford! Thought I should just take the foam out. Thanks for pointing things on the forum out. 1st timer on smart phones, computers. Lol as much as life changes I'm thinking the boats name should be the same. We get better with age. Thanks again.
I bet the foam is soaked, when I got the top decking off that's what I seen. Wet, wet, rotted.