Vinyl Flooring Adhesive

Hello everyone,

I am currently installing a deck on my boat and I am in search of a good vinyl adhesive besides every vinyl adhesive known to man. I say this because I have used all of them. The vinyl I am currently installing is a 1mm thick universal vinyl made by BLT. I know that it is not boat vinyl but that is not the point. The adhesives that I have tried are nautolex, weldwood contact cement, exterior vinyl adhesive, and 3m 80 spray adhesive. Now I am all out of options and I am done messing around. So let me refine my question, can I use 5200 or 4200 to get the job done? I know that 5200 is extremely adhesive if not being applied to oil saturated surfaces and I know I will never get it up. All I want is to adhere that blasted floor so that not even satan could pull it up.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Whats happening that doesnt allow whatever adhesives you've tried, to hold it down?

Curling at the edges?

So the most success that I have had was with the contact cement. The top was held down just fine, the problem was when I wrapped it around the edges a bubble would form along the entire edge. The vinyl is very unruly and this is my first time messing with it, so far the only thing I have learned is how to control my anger.

That is why I thought about 5200, cause I know that it is an extremely aggressive adhesive and I would probably have better luck, I just want to know what my fellow sailors think.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I would look at rounding over your substrate to make it easier for the vinyl to form around.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Did you staple the edge down after you wrapped it over the plywood?

WoodonGlass,

Is your only concern slow cure time, because I wasn't going to round the edges right away. I was going to let the top cure then round the edges and clamp a 2X4 along the edges till it dries.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's kinda what I figured. Vinyl that thick is NOT gunna be easily coaxed over a corner, even a rounded edge. Using a heat gun to make it more flexible wood be my choice. I'd also attempt to "Over Bend the angle and heat the edge and then let it kool to attempt to get it to "Set" at that angle. I would then probably "Spring Back" to the desired angle. But Hey, I AM the OLD DUMB OKIE so you might want to take that into consideration!!!!:eek::D;)

Woodonglass,

I like that Idea, and that is probably what I will do. So back to the adhesive, Would you use the 5200 If I clamp it like I described to you earlier. I know that boat builders with experience would advise against it but I am just tired of scraping glue. Will it work that is all I want to know?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I can't guarantee it but.. If you use the Fast Cure and IF you scuffed the bottom of the vinyl with some 60 grit paper and then wiped it down with Acetone to ensure any contaminants were removed then,..Yeah I think it would work. I'm NOT speaking from experience just from what I know about the product and it's adhesive qualities. Not KNOWING anything about your Vinyl and other variables I CANNOT be sure. I would FOR SURE give it Plenty of Cure time.

Woodonglass,
​So if prepped properly, how strong is 4200? also deck is 1/4" marine grade mahogany and is coated in two layers of polyurethane. The vinyl is sheet vinyl 1mm thick, it is not backed with fabric and it is polyvinyl. I accidentally spilled acetone on it and it bleached the vinyl. I don't know what that means since acetone is pretty narly stuff .

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hmmm,If acetone bleaches it are you sure it's suitable for Decking material??

Well it says that it is used for garage floors and is resistant to most chemicals. Acetone is pretty nasty stuff anyways. unless I'm fishing in acetone lake I should be fine.

Idk what I'm trying to do. If the 5200 doesn't work then I'm going to off my boat. I'm going to sand the back of the vinyl and give it plenty of cure time. I might not even wrap it. instead I found some brown duck tape that matches the vinyl and I might just tape the edges and replace when needed.

centerline

Seaman
Ive had excellent results with outdoor carpet adhesive, on boat decks, atv trailers, carports and patios..
the surface must be clean, and if it is an epoxied surface, it needs to be scrubbed good with a scotchbrite pad with soap and water to remove any blush/wax that WILL be present on the surface..
the problem most people have using this glue is that they dont apply it heavy enough, and so there is not enough adhesion, AND keeping the vinyl or carpet pressed into the glue as it dries, AND allowing it enough dry time..... if these issues are addressed and remedied, the outdoor glue will work well.

The usual problem is the original paint that the glue was applied over begins to come loose at the edges... sometimes this can be remedied by using an edge strip to hold it down, and usually its preferred to have an edge strip where the carpet ends yet the foot traffic continues onto the deck without carpet...