1986 Cajun Project w/ Johnson 150 GT

TWO21

Cadet
New member here that has been trolling the forums for the past couple months. Just started on this project after my uncle didn't want anything to do with this boat, so it sat around at my parents lake house for 20 years. Last tag on it was from '96.

I started cleaning it up, replacing rotten floor, carpet and bought new seats. Stringers and hull seem in good shape, so moved on to the motor. Cleaned and rebuilt all 3 carbs, new water pump, new gear case oil, replaced some fuel lines and primer bulb, drained and cleaned the gas tank, cleaned fuel filter, new spark plugs, fresh oil. I got it running a couple weeks ago just on muffs and it was circulating water, had a good stream going after unclogging the line. Starting a thread in the motor section on some issues I ran into but wanted to introduce myself and the boat here. Will try to post some better pictures as I move along with this project. Plan to use 3M restore and wax for the hull, need to check all the gauges and wiring too.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
New member here that has been trolling the forums for the past couple months. Just started on this project after my uncle didn't want anything to do with this boat, so it sat around at my parents lake house for 20 years. Last tag on it was from '96.

I started cleaning it up, replacing rotten floor, carpet and bought new seats. Stringers and hull seem in good shape, so moved on to the motor. Cleaned and rebuilt all 3 carbs, new water pump, new gear case oil, replaced some fuel lines and primer bulb, drained and cleaned the gas tank, cleaned fuel filter, new spark plugs, fresh oil. I got it running a couple weeks ago just on muffs and it was circulating water, had a good stream going after unclogging the line. Starting a thread in the motor section on some issues I ran into but wanted to introduce myself and the boat here. Will try to post some better pictures as I move along with this project. Plan to use 3M restore and wax for the hull, need to check all the gauges and wiring too.

What makes you say this??? What about the transom?

TWO21

Cadet
What makes you say this??? What about the transom?

When we were replacing the floor, I got into the hull and knocked on the stringers. Sounded solid, didnt find cracks in the fiberglass. From what I've read, Cajun did a good job encasing the stringers with fiberglass. I also thought the transom was fiberglass as well. This is still a concern of mine, worried I'll get it running and sink it once I go on the lake. Open to easy ways to check these things, didn't want to drill into them unless that's the only option.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Your Stringers and Transom are all wood cored. The only way to know their true condition is to drill into them and check the shavings If they come out light colored and dry then fill the holes with 3M 4200. If they are Dark and Damp then you'll need to do a tear down and restoration. She's 30 years old and unless she's been really well cared for and garaged all these years there's a very good chance she needs more work than you suspect.

TWO21

Cadet
Your Stringers and Transom are all wood cored. The only way to know their true condition is to drill into them and check the shavings If they come out light colored and dry then fill the holes with 3M 4200. If they are Dark and Damp then you'll need to do a tear down and restoration. She's 30 years old and unless she's been really well cared for and garaged all these years there's a very good chance she needs more work than you suspect.

Ok, I will do that first thing this weekend. Suggestions on where to drill? Start with the center most stringer, toward the mid section of the boat, and drill a 1/4" hole in the middle of the board?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd start at the back and drill down as low as you can. They generally rot from the bottom up. IF they're wet on the bottom they won't ever dry out and will eventually rot so you'll have to replace them. Do the same on The transom. Start in the middle down low and then work out to the sides and up about 6".