any body have an idea of the tint colors i need for this old boats gel coat.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
She looks off-white to me but it could be the picture. If you want to attempt color matching on your own, I would start with white-white and tint with hazelnut brown and see where it goes. Nice work on the restore!

What is your plan, just patching something or a complete shoot?

DSCN1620.jpg

Last edited:

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Just patching some things there is alot of holes from po acc. Aditions were old buttons for cover were, and more

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
A Color Blind Gelcoat Match Maker!!!! This I a got to SEE!!!! It's hard enuf for a Pro with Perfect Vision to do But This...??? I can't wait!!!!

You KNOW I'm pullin for you Cobra!!! I gotta tell ya though. Even if the Miracle occurs and you get the Perfect match...After one season it will look like a Pinto Pony!!! The new Gel and the Old Gel will NOT weather at the same ratio and in a very short time they won't look the same and there's not a darn thing you can do about it!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Fix the holes w marinetex and then run a new accent stripe in vinyl to cover the repair.

Similar to the grey (?) and orange stripes on it now.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
ok guys thanks again . I didnt know that would work like that Wood, I guess patching wont do. I like your idea Jb except I was in the process of removing the old stripes, I may just have to do a full spray afterall . and thanks for the compliment Blue-

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Fix the holes w marinetex and then run a new accent stripe in vinyl to cover the repair.

Similar to the grey (?) and orange stripes on it now.
I looked into the marinetex guess this way will be the most easy. how far will the 2 oz tubes get mel probly have 50 of those little holes

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not sure, depends on exactly how many holes, how fast it starts to cure, temp/humidity while you're working w it, and how fast you work. 2oz tubes are probably not cost effective.

FYI, MarineTex is epoxy, so if you use it, dont plan to re-spray w gelcoat (polyester based)

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Just patching some things there is alot of holes from po acc. Aditions were old buttons for cover were, and more

If it is a patch job and only for the holes in the pictures you posted, I agree with the above. No matter what, it will show. There are some techniques makes it less obvious but it is not worth the hassle in this case. I like the vinyl pinstripe idea. Another thing I would consider is a teak trim but it will sure be more expensive and more work to maintain. Just throwing some ideas at you.

By the way, my wife can name at least 10 different colors and for me they are all "red". I guess - in some way - most men are color blind :)