20.5' Corsair Sunbird w/ 5.0 ford motor omc cobra out drive

Hey guys,

I am entertaining the idea of picking this up as a second project boat. The seller states that, "Probably needs a floor kinda soft bought a couple years ago needed motor work got the motor running took it out a couple times ran good then started noticing water in it and starter went out and I just parked it been sitting about 4 years." I'm not sure if Seller meant water in engine or in the hull, which is a make or break. Seller only wants 500 for it but I think I could snag it at 400 - If in good condition, the trailer alone should be worth that, right? Just looking for opinions - I'm going to look at it this weekend.

13124896_1187727211251523_5584740453216537418_n.jpg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Good running Motor is the Key, IMHO. A full GUT JOB Restoration will more than likely be needed and with Upholstery,Deck, Stringers and Transom You're looking @ around $2,000 in materials costs and 200 man hours of work. If that sounds like what you want for a project...and you like the Styling of the Boat, then go get her and Start a Restoration Thread here on the Forum and you'll have ALL the help you can hope for!!!:rockon:

Definitely like the lines - maybe a completely black paint job with red pin striping (way down the road). I agree about the engine, my fear is the transom! Any suggestions as to where I should look for the source of water coming in?

tpenfield

Staff member
I would assume a full gut job and a new engine and possibly the outdrive. Not worth it unless you really have a bunch of time and money to burn.

If the engine is shot - seller said he put had one head replaced and had the other reworked. Also said it ran like a champ before the water got in the engine compartment - which brings me to another question. In looking for water in the engine - would that be as simple as checking the dipstick or should I drain try and drain a bit of oil into a cup?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Water on I/O's could be a bad Bellows!! Pull the dip stick for sure but draining the oil would be optimum.

Apologies for the last thread response! I'm not great at multitasking haha Woodonglass - that would make sense, but it also seems like a pretty damning notion for my transom, right?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the floor is soft, the transom long ago rotted away. Personally, you should get it for near free. Its a rotten boat with an obsolete motor that doesn't run and obsolete drive. Unless you love the boat, and want a restoration project that will run you a minimum of $2k in materials and 200 hours of labor just for the hull, I would walk away

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
For sure you need to do a VERY THOROUGH inspection of everything before investing a dime in a boat of this caliber.;)