Restoration Worth it??

ArturoPareja

Recruit
New to the forum, any help is greatly appreciated... I have run into a 1979 Hewes 18 foot hull which needs a lot of work. Its going for 1000 with trailer. Don't know if it's worth it to buy and restore. I am a full time student so i have a lot of time on my hands and my friend will be helping me. Any ideas on how much time and money will be needed to get her into a solid shape? thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0

Tnstratofam

Commander
That looks like a restoration project that has already been started. Looks like the transom wood, deck and stringers havre already been removed. A guess as to material costs would be somewhere around $2000 to $3000 for the wood and fiberglass materials needed. Time will be somewhat shorter than most restorations because the demo work has been mostly completed. As to how long it will take that depends on how many hours you can put towards it in a given week. It could be 500 to 1000 man hours. That may be a high number depending on you and your friends skill level with fiberglassing and working with tools.

Personally I wouldn't give more than a few hundred dollars for that project as it looks like you are just buying a trailer with a hull. That's if the trailer is even worth that much.

Oh and :welcome: to the forum.