Material for making new consoles.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I'm about to start the re-restoration of my dual console aluminum boat. Last time we just carpeted over the plywood which worked but I was hoping to make something that looked a little more factory. I've considered a couple options.and would appreciate any input.

Starboard. I've read that if you flame treat the joints they can be glued together, I figured with pocket screws from the back side I could probably make something nice looking but I've read from a couple people that it fades pretty badly. Is that really true? I'd likely be using the light grey color.

Moldable plastic- I don't know much about it but has anybody worked with it? I don't know how well it would mold around curves and corners and how strong it would be.

Fiberglass- I've never worked with the stuff. Could I simply make a wood frame and glass over it? How easy is it to get a smooth finish, and would a newbie have a chance at making something turn out looking decent?

Any other options?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
What he said and i made a bow hatch from black starboard three years ago and has not faded. She spent a good amount of time uncovered last year.

PTChief

Seaman Apprentice
I'm doing a restore on a smallish StarCraft right now. I have fallen in love with aluminum composite panels and I recommend you take a look at those. They cut with regular tools, they can be bent easily, and often give you one side mill finish and the other is colored. They give you a good weight to strength ration as well. Look on Craigslist under materials or check with your local sign makers/commercial building guys. often, you can pick up the leftovers from a job for a song. I got a 5x15 sheet of 3/16ths thick for 40 bucks outside of Boston.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
They're made of aluminum sides that are carpeted but generally have a plastic top that the windshield sits on and the gauges/steering wheel attach to. That top part is what I want to make. I'd work with aluminum but really wont be able to get the shapes I need and having them welded doesn't come cheap.

Those composite panels do look pretty cool and I'll look more into how to attach them together.