New Guy

JoeNW

Recruit
Hello iboats, I am new to the site and the world of boat restoration. I am looking to build a project on a budget so I can eventually take the kids out fishing and run around the lake.

I am currently looking at two boats, both Dorsett boats, one is a 1959 Belmont (sport?) its a 17' boat and the hull looks good but it has no seating in it at all and it only has a 14hp kicker on it right now. I would want to repaint the boat because it is brown and yellow and just kind of ugly looking and get at least a 50hp motor on it but it does come with a trailer. The other boat I am looking at is a 14' that looks just like a smaller version of the Belmont but it has no motor no title and no trailer. So my question here is, what is harder and more costly to do? Get a good motor seats and paint or title issues trailer and motor? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
good luck and as I am new as well welcome :) I think woods is only one still alive lol!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Woodonglass ... More room for the family ...
Welcome aboard !

JoeNW

Recruit
In my research I also came across a nice looking 1969 Slickcraft ss160. It has a merc 115hp outboard that the owner said needs a new lower unit, which I have found means its pretty useless other than selling for parts. It looks like all it needs is a better motor set up.