Replacing a curved windshield with Lexan

dddy1st

Cadet
I spent a good amount of time searching for info from others who may have tried to replace a broken windshield on a Fish n Ski style boat. It always is the curved piece that breaks isn't it!?? Well, after getting a quote for about $700 for the windshield and $400 to ship it from Taylor made in NY, I decided to take a crack at it myself. I discovered that Lexan has more forgiving properties over acrylic/plexi. So with the frame assembled but removed from the boat, I traced the outline of the windshield onto cardboard. I cut out the cardboard and had a local glass guy cut me a 1/4" sheet exactly as drawn. After that, I simply needed to 'bend' the piece into the frame! No heat used at all. Just some very precise and even pressure to coax the pane into the frame. Pics attached. PM me if you want to try this yourself and have questions. BTW, the sheet cost me $120 bucks and it took about 20 minutes to get it in the frame.

Attachments

• photo243537.jpg
    photo243537.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 20
  • photo243538.jpg
    photo243538.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 17
  • photo243539.jpg
    photo243539.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 19
  • photo243540.jpg
    photo243540.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 18
  • photo243541.jpg
    photo243541.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 16
  • photo243542.jpg
    photo243542.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 20

alldodge

Staff member
Pretty cool, looks great.

How much pressure is on the frame, and wonder if the lexan will ease up over time?

dddy1st

Cadet
Pretty cool, looks great.

How much pressure is on the frame, and wonder if the lexan will ease up over time?

The way the frame swoops back, it seems as the pressure is well distributed and not focused on one spot, like it would be if it was a straight 90deg bend. The frame took it very well. I would expect that after a few sunny days, it will lighten up some. glass was 3/8 and Lexan is 1/4 so I'll know it eases up if I eventually need to add shims. I plan to make an additional effort to cover this side of the windshield when not in use. We all see what happens to our headlights after several years.... I yellow windshield ain't too appealing. Hopefully it will be at least 5 years before I need to worry about buffing out any haze.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, would be interested to know how it worked out this season and next. Maybe book mark it and give an update as time progresses.

Either way great info and thanks for sharing

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I saw a YouTube video of guy making a BassBoat windscreen from Acrylic using a form made from MDF covered in Felt and using a Heat Gun to gently Coax it into shape. and then clamped it down until it cooled. It worked great!!! But it appears that you can just bend it without the hassle of heating and forming.!!!!

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Acrylic and Lexan are two different things all together.

Very impressive work without heat. The forming temp of Lexan is actually much higher than Acrylic but you were in luck because your radius of the bend is not that sharp and the sheet must have been think enough. Very good work!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Acrylic is generally much more UV stable than polycarbonate. Did you at least spring for the UV coating?

dddy1st

Cadet
Acrylic is generally much more UV stable than polycarbonate. Did you at least spring for the UV coating?

UV coating????? there is such a thing? Man.....you'd think they would have at least attempted to 'up-sell' me on that. But no, they didn't mention it. I did speak with them about the amount of time before it would start to haze. He estimated between 5-7 years. I won't leave it exposed to the sun when not in use so I figure I"m good for a decade which is fine with me.

dddy1st

Cadet
I saw a YouTube video of guy making a BassBoat windscreen from Acrylic using a form made from MDF covered in Felt and using a Heat Gun to gently Coax it into shape. and then clamped it down until it cooled. It worked great!!! But it appears that you can just bend it without the hassle of heating and forming.!!!!
LOL, i saw that too. guy put alot of work making that form, didn't he? stepped down the individual wood supports to allow for the swoop of the windshield. Thats what inspired me to find " another way". Lol. Lexan is very forgiving, unlike plexiglass or Acrylic. If you have a sharp bend, I might say go with plexi because that would have to be heat bent.