1974 Gulfstream - Cradle Boat before Cutting out Floor?

Taylor_T

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Everyone!

I am planning on making a thread later that explains my project in detail, but I don't have time to write it right now. I will try to have that up soon so my project is less ambiguous.

Very briefly: I am starting to discover rot in my 1974 Gulfstream (19') that I bought last year. I think I am going to have to do a rebuild for the most part. At least the stringers, deck and foam. I have a couple questions that I was hoping to get all of your opinions on:

1. Do I need to build a cradle for the boat before I cut out the deck? I know I probably need to cradle it before removing the stringers, but wasn't sure about the floor. It's tempting just to start cutting lol.

2. Is it reasonable to plan on spending $1,000 - $1,500 for replacing stringers, deck and possibly the transom? The transom is small. I'll add pictures once I figure out how so you get a better idea. I need to save money everywhere I can because I need to keep some of my money for college (19 yr old). However, I want to do it right so the boat will be nice and last for a long time.

3. Any advice you would give before I get too crazy?

Just so you guys know, I am aware of how big of a job this is but I'm not worried about that at all. I have access to all the tools I need and have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. I'm planning on working on it 12 or so hours a day until I get it done once I have all the materials (unless I'm waiting for something to cure), so hopefully I'll have it done in time to still use it this year.

Taylor_T

Seaman Apprentice
I won't be working on it today since it is storming like crazy where I live right now. But am hoping to get going on it tomorrow.

Taylor_T

Seaman Apprentice
Fiberglass cracked on rotten stringer (starboard side of engine):

Fiberglass cracked on (most likely rotten) stringer (port):

Bulkhead, not glassed..

Taylor_T

Seaman Apprentice
Transom (not sure on condition yet, but not very optimistic since the engine mounts are cracked all the way back). It was hard to take pictures of the transom with the engine in the way...

port side

starboard side

Taylor_T

Seaman Apprentice
After pulling up the carpet. I believe the previous owner replaced the gas take at some point, and that's why there is a bare piece of plywood over the tank.

patch over gas tank removed

Rotten stringer. I don't think the stringers were even glassed? The stringers are just black from what I have seen so far...

That's basically where I'm at right now summed up in pictures.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a great start . I hate to add to an already big project but there is one thing that I would suggest .

I am in the same boat with you (owning a OMCstringer) While you have that thing all torn apart , and probably re-doing the transom as well , it would be a shame to go through all of that and re-use the stringer with the big old hole in the transom .

you should start looking thorugh craigslist for a Merc drive and do a conversion . Now is the time !

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I have to agree. the OMC Stringer Drives are a bit antiquated. Unless she's in Tip Top Shape I'd be looking at a refit. That WILL significantly increase your costs but...in the long run would be worth it IMHO. I'd guess-ti-mate your other restoration cost estimates to be pretty close.

Taylor_T

Seaman Apprentice
That's a great point, I hadn't thought about that. If I was going to update the out drive, now would be a great time to do it. What would be the reason for changing to mercruiser? Is it hard to find parts for the OMC Stringers? Would it be that bad of a move to keep the OMC?

Just looking around it looks like if I were to get a "replacement drive" from SEI, it would cost $1,500... but that's about as much as I was planning on spending on the rebuild!

If I do replace it, how do I make sure I get the right drive?

Taylor_T

Seaman Apprentice
I hooked up a hose and started her up today for the first time after winter. Everything is working great, I'm still going to check a few things, but I should be good to lift the engine out tomorrow or tuesday.

I'm trying to figure out how to support the hull during the rebuild. It's currently sitting on a roller trailer with two short bunks. I don't really like the rollers, though. My plan was to convert my trailer to bunks, and then add some additional support to the trailer until I am finished. That way I would kill two birds with one stone: support the hull and have bunks instead of rollers when I'm done. I'm open to suggestions on this, I REALLY don't want the hull to warp or twist in anyway.