1972 Starcraft T4 Sunbird restore

ChellBell

Cadet
1972 Starcraft T4 Sunbird Restore.. Summer '16

Ripped out the floor and found... TAR, SILICONE, LATEX PAINT, and other fun items

Last edited:

ChellBell

Cadet

Attachments

• sunbird6.jpg
    sunbird6.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 5
  • sunbird7.jpg
    sunbird7.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 6
  • sunbird8.jpg
    sunbird8.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: to the tinsanity. That's a nice looking project. I will be tagging along. The paint does look like it's peeling pretty good from the keel area. It also looks like there may be some corrosion. You'll want to watch for that.

As for the layout you can go just about any direction you want. One thing to keep in mind is you shouldn't use any pressure treated wood any where in the boat. The chemicals used in pressure treated wood will leach out and cause the aluminum to corrode. Marine grade plywood or a good quality exterior plywood coated with either epoxy (with a UV stabilizer or painted), woodonglass's Old Timers Wood Formula, or Spar varnish will last a long time.

Post any questions and we'll be here to help.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Though I cringed at the restoration cost they listed in the ad (seems way over priced to me), I like the sole of the "inspiration" one, a plywood sole like in your's is what's more typical but that's the beauty of a project you get to do what want. If you want to copy the plank flooring you could use any wood that strikes your fancy. Choosing something with good rot resistance will add to the longevity but with proper care and maintenance any hardwood should last.

Your windshield is similar to the one on my Jet factoring in some slight design changes for the age difference I'd bet it the original. A search will net you some companies that you can send yours to and they can make a replacement but that's usually pricey, Several/some here on iboats have made their own replacements from flat sheet with good success and some searching will give you some ideas of how they've done it.

ChellBell

Cadet
Deleted most of my posts and pics because photobucket was acting up

Attachments

• sunbird11.jpg
    sunbird11.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
  • sunbird13.jpg
    sunbird13.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Nice looking boat. That model name has not shown up here before from what I've seen. Looks the same as a Nova or small Holiday.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Wow what a mess. I wouldn't kill myself trying to remove it though. I'd clean it out, power wash it, and put some water in it (don't overload the trailer with weight) and address any leaks you find. Then carry on as if it weren't there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sunbird is a new model to me.

If that's tar, it will soften with a little heat and smell like...well tar. I would clean her with a pressure washer and do the leak test like EZ suggested.

ChellBell

Cadet
Well, I am going to fully gut and restore this baby. So I will be removing all the crud.. mineral spirits and elbow grease seems to do the trick. Keep ya posted