Small hole in hull

Doger1966

Cadet
Ok so 1st time boat owner here, I have a 2006 maxum 1800 i picked up last year for the family. Being the dumb ass I am I accidentally put a small (less the 1cm) drill hole in my Hull. My question is for a hole this small i was thinking of simply using a good marine epoxy to do the repair. will this work? the thought of making the hole bigger so i can use fiberglass seems like a lot of work for such a small hole. thoughts?.

thanks

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
3M 5200 , cram it in there and be done . less than 10 bucks

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Can you get to the back side? If it were me and the answer was yes, I'd put a piece of tape on the outside, and then rough up the inside with sandpaper, and slap some fiberglass resin/cloth over it.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Or... just put a stainless steel screw in the hole with some good marine sealant.

Doger1966

Cadet
hi thanks for the quick reply, cant really get to the back side of it but the screw and epoxy sounds like a good idea.

thanks

Doger1966

Cadet
its front of boat and yes below water line when sitting in water but well above once boat is on plane

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Again, post pictures, overall and closeup. 1 cm is not a small hole ( it could be much less but you did not specify) I would not trust a below waterline hole to a screw and sealant.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Ya, my thoughts are the same as DeepBlue. 1 cm is a big hole. If you don't have access to the backside, you could use a rubber "Wellnut" and a 1/4" bolt as shown in picture. - Grandad

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you can get to the back side, clean with a bit of sand paper, then wipe with acetone and use Marine Tex putty.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's what I'd do. Cut a 5/8" circle from an old plastic milk bottle or similar plastic container. Your hole is about 3/8" correct. Use a nail to put a hole in the center of this plastic disc. Thread a string into this hole and tie a large knot. fold the disc in half and poke it into the hole and hold onto the string the disc will spring back open once it's inside the hull. Get some Hairy Peanut butter and use a tooth pic or small stick to poke the PB into the hole all around the edges and then pull the disk up to force the pb into the hole from the inside out. DON"T pull to hard you want it to build up on the inside and MUSHROOM out poke the disc loose and apply some more PB into the hole and repeat the action to get as much build up on the inside as possible and get the PB to goosh out of the hole. Doing it this way will ensure that it won't POP out. I'd prolly dremmel the outside down and bevel it a bit and fill with PB as well to so you can get a mushroom RIVET effect for the entire repair. That's what this Old Dumb Okie would do and Has done to fix holes like these.;)

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Note: When he says "Hairy Peanut Butter"... that is a filler/patch product for fiberglass....
Don't take a jar of Skippy and add hair.

:p

Doger1966

Cadet
No Title

wow thanks everyone for the great ideas. here is a pic of the hole I am talking about. like I said its a small one. I have beveled it out a little alredy

Attachments

• photo243244.jpg
    photo243244.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 0

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Looks like 1 to 2 mm not 1 cm....

couple drops of 5 minute epoxy (1 drop of each of the 2 parts) will plug it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could almost fix that with a gel coat repair pen.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Umm Yeah,,, Get some 5min epoxy, mix some talc till it's like mayo and spread it over the hole...DONE!! Or as stated Gelcoat Paste will fix it too!!!