Help with boat model

Clairbouyant

Recruit
Hey guys new here and first post. Looking to purchase this boat for 300$. Guy is telling me it is an 18' Bayliner Ranger with 150HP outboard. I cannot find any info on Bayliner Rangers and it looks like an awful small outboard for 150hp. Any help figuring out what kind of boat it is would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-04-12-05-54-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-04-12-05-54-1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Never heard of a Bayliner Ranger. That boat should have a hull ID number. It's located one (or all) of three places: the capacity plate, stamped in the stern under the rub rail and/or the registration. The first three letters will be the manufacturer's code. Last two numbers should ID the year.

That boat likely had a capacity plate that lists the max HP. 150HP is reasonable for an 18', but the photo makes it look a little overpowering on that boat.

For $300, what's wrong with the boat?

Clairbouyant

Recruit
I appreciate your reply. The gentleman is currently disabled and won the boat a few years ago in a raffle. It ran when he was able to take it out then it was stored for a few years. Says the motor spins freely "but is getting no spark". I would ask him to check the hull id but he has a hard time getting around. I figured for 300$ i would just make the 40 minute drive and buy it either way. Was just hoping to figure out what it actually is prior to the travel lol.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Can't ID the engine from that pic... no way.

Yep... its a boat and it has an engine. That's about all the picture says.

Clairbouyant

Recruit
I gathered it was a tri-hull. I also gathered for 300$ i'm going to find something more than a sparkless motor.

southkogs

Staff member
Trailer itself may be worth the $300, so the trip won't be a waste. Just look carefully, and be conscious of all of what can be wrong with 'em. Sometimes a risk can pay off ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Heck if that includes boat, motor, trailer $300.00 it's a yes. Even knowing your buying a complete rehab is worth the $$. It all depends on how fast you want to get on the water, how much you might spend on renovation and your personal time if you have to to bring it up to snuff. Udder dandat someone else will grab it. If you can physically drill some test holes into it to see how the transom and stringer are thats a plus for you. JMHO.
KC

harleyman1975

Ensign
Just a guess on the motor could be a Yamaha, Evinrude or a Suzuki spirit but would guess hp to be around 70 as it is probably a 3 cylinder.