Only transom skin?

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was looking today before I mounted swim platforms and I found that the top half of the starboard side is missing the wood. This is not the only place where what I think should be filled there are gaps. Second largest is the bilge on the sides at the back, we thought maybe a design issue, now I am not too sure. I can't get any pictures because the only way I can see is a mirror that is about the size of a quarter.

The outer skin has to be about 1.4 inch thick or so. I know this is a safety issue and don't plan to boat until I solve it. Though the boat is a 1977 and it has been going this long without that section.

I was interested in seeing other boats of the same model so a few weeks ago I went and saw 2, both had the same interior so I am 99.9% sure that the issues I have are original and not someone's failed restoration.

Advice for going about making it safe to put a swim platform on or should I just skip it on that side and go with the port where it is 100% solid and no rot!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If there is any rot you should replace the transom ... the outside skin is an inch and 3/8 thick ??? Or do you mean a 1/4" thick ..

SkaterRace

If there is any rot you should replace the transom ... the outside skin is an inch and 3/8 thick ??? Or do you mean a 1/4" thick ..
There is no rot no, there is no wood there. The outside skin is 1/4 inch think hit the wrong key above. My first post says about that it is only this skin there, nothing else, no inner skin, no wood, nothing.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
On some boats the transom wood is just in the middle ... Then really thick glass on the outer edges ... Some pics would help ...

SkaterRace

On some boats the transom wood is just in the middle ... Then really thick glass on the outer edges ... Some pics would help ...
Look at the last line in the first paragraph, I can't get pictures. If I could I would, I tried before posting since everyone here loves pictures.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have the same year crestliner but a tinny and my transom was just a board about 6 inches from top to bottom and didn't climb the side of the boat like most. They used some heavy gauge aluminium C channel welded to the outer skin where the transom climbs. I think your boat is a Glasser but maybe there are some similar design aspects between the two. AMF did build both. Here is a pic of the old transom to give you an idea of shape.

Not much there compared to other transoms i've seen. Apples and oranges but might be of some help

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Maybe a pic or two of the outside of the boat and transom area would help these guys. Even a pic of the hole you made when you found the problem so they can see the thickness of the glass? No pics and you get guys like me chiming in. Lol

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Reach under the transom with a phone and snap some pics. Even a cheap selfie stick will stretch your arms if needed.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm pretty sure you're boat is similar to this one...
76-Cestliner-for-sale-or-trade-great-boat.jpg

If so, I'm not understanding what the issue is with getting some pics of the inside of the transom under the splashwell.??:confused:

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Look at the last line in the first paragraph, I can't get pictures. If I could I would, I tried before posting since everyone here loves pictures.
If you cant even get a picture how do you expect to repair your boat?...?

SkaterRace

I'm pretty sure you're boat is similar to this one...
76-Cestliner-for-sale-or-trade-great-boat.jpg

If so, I'm not understanding what the issue is with getting some pics of the inside of the transom under the splashwell.??:confused:
It has to do with a false wall put in place by the previous owner that is glued in. I found a gap at the top about maybe an inch by an inch. No hope of fitting a camera in there. I can take a picture of straight on at the hole I found but you won't see anything but black. I can see in with a mirror as I mentioned above, I have tried to get pictures but can not. Nothing I can do ti change that other than start cutting things open and I am not going to do that just for some pictures.

SkaterRace

If you cant even get a picture how do you expect to repair your boat?...?
I was hoping that maybe seacast would be a reasonable solution or fill the gap with resin ect. Then I would just need two small holes at the top to pour in.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
You'll need a damm on the back side to contain the Seacast. Might as well cut the PO's false wall out and take a pic.

Gotta crack some eggs to make a cake.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
And where exactly IS this false wall in relationship to the original 1 1/2" thich transom that the motor is clamped to? Where are you able to see with a mirror down into this opening? Take that Picture of this "False Wall" opening. I'm sure we'd all like to see it! I know I sure would!!! I still don't see why you're unable to take pics of your transom on the inside under the splash well? Shine a Flash light under there and take some pics. How hard can it be?? If the PO has put a "Wall" in there it needs to come out anyway in order for you to to the transom properly. The people here on this forum have a VAST amount of experience and Knowledge are are trying to help you with your project. Without being able to SEE what you have it's very difficult to give proper advice. If you Can't or Won't make the effort to show us what you are working on I fear we won't be able to adequately give you the help you are seeking.:chargrined:

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe a pic or two of the outside of the boat and transom area would help these guys. Even a pic of the hole you made when you found the problem so they can see the thickness of the glass? No pics and you get guys like me chiming in. Lol

Yep, any pictures at all will probably help others help you. Ya know, a 1000 words...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
At the least you might could cut an inspection hole in the false wall to have a look at it ... If everything is good you can mount a cover over it ... Anyway if your planing on installing a swim ladder your gunna need to get to that area anyway ...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Where is the battery and gas tank hidden? Behind the false wall?