Keel leaking!

Poseidons child

Recruit
So, I recently acquired a project boat, as my first boat because I wanted to learn. It's a 1968 islander 29. I've already done a ton of work to it, but I'm stuck on this keel repair... So... Last year before I put in I found a split seam along the bottom of the keel. No biggie... Fiber fill and glassed over it. This year... I went to add another few layers of glass... I sanded the area and the previous repair job began to fall apart! Some how... Water had been kept inside the fwrd section of the keel. So I removed all of the previous repair work and found a soft spot about 1.5 inch in diameter. I drilled a hole (1/4") to see if anything was in there.... Almost 5 gallons came out! I have NO idea how this water is getting in. My question however pertains to the soft spot... As there is no core in the hull, or keel of this boat... Should I first cut out the soft spot, then maybe put some fiber fill and glass several times over with long strand mat? Or just full the drain hole I made and glass over it? For those that want more info.... At some point someone poured about 5 gal. Of tar in my bildge. (No idea why) we are thinking this plugged some drain that went from the fwrd to aft of the keel thus trapping any water that accumulated in there. There is NO way to get to the interior of this section of the keel. I'd be interested to know any idea for why someone would pour tar into the bildge, but also open to suggestions as to how to safely remove it. It's about 4-6" thick. (And for some reason does not block the keel plug.) thanks all. I will upload some pics in a few days.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Is the hull of your sail boat foam filled? How thick is the Glass hull? Approximately where along the keel is this damage?

Last edited:

Poseidons child

Recruit
The hull is solid fiberglass, no core. Keel is about 1/4" thick in this part. The hull itself ranges from 1/4"-2" thick in some parts. The deck (which is cored) measured 1". The damaged areas is on the bottom of the keel, in the fwrd most part. I will upload photos in a few hours, have class soon... Finals week! Oh, Incase you were wondering, this is a 1968 islander 29 made by mcglassen.

Last edited: