Wet wood - do I have a disaster in my hands?

Joolz

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Great idea to use the plastic to do the initial setup. Sure would be a lot easier on the neck, especially with part of the trailer's frame in the way.
Looks like I'll have no problems locating all the parts you described locally. Will have everything at hand before I get started. Which brings up this question: will the electric sander in the pic be a good bet? That's what I have but can also rent one for the day if there's a better option. If mine works would something like a 120 grit paper be adequate to get through the gel coat?
Will be making the sanded area exactly 8" wide, will mask off the area so that I have a nicely sanded straight area to work with. This may not be so bad after all. In a way doing the bondo was a great exercise as it showed me working on the keel to not be a big deal, so now I'm not that fearful of doing the fibreglass work. The worst part is removing all the dust that's now all over the boat.

Attachments

• photo244335.jpg
    photo244335.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's NOT the best sander but it would get the job done. Use 60 grit paper. You want it to be fairly rough so the Tiger Hair and glass will have something to "Bite" into. Wear a Mask and Goggles For sure!!! That FG dust Is NOT good for your Lungs. Also Long Sleeve shirt and Baby Powder on your neck and arms will Greatly Help keep the Itch Off!!!

Joolz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a decent mask, good goggles and gloves. But wearing long sleeves in the summer while working that hard will be tough. Must ensure VERY cold supply of beer at hand.
Can you please describe what sander would work better? There's a rental store not far from that has everything. Sounds like money well spent (typically around $15 for 4 hours).

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Actually the best tool for the job is a 4 1/2" grinder and a flap disc. If not that then a Random Orbit Sander with a 60 grit disc. You can Buy a Grinder @ Harbor Freight for $15 bucks.

GrinderSetup.jpg