Fiberglass question

Graco1

Cadet
Hello All:

Just joined tonight. Lots of good info here.

I am working on an 18' Privateer I just boat. Took out the center console and bench and want to build a custom side console. I have done glass work several times but I do not know anything about the glass itself.

The ceiling is fairly new(glass over wood) and is solid. I want to build the console, glass it and glass it in place tying it into the ceiling, cooler board and washboard.

I was going to build it out of rigid foam and glass it in place.

Now for the questions...

Any suggestions for tying it all in together? I know there is a lot of stress where these points all come together. Should I do something different than just cutting away the existing glass where the new console will go such as cut it out and then cut finger joints back to kind of tie the new glass in to the finger joints for better mechanical hold?

Please tell me what type of mat, weight resin to use. How many layers? Inside as well?

I want the console to be super smooth like the hull when complete. Should I use resin with microblooms as a smoothing compound once I am finished with the matting?

That is all for now. I am sure your answers will spark more things on my end I have not thought about.

I appreciate everyone's time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats! Pics always help us to help you. Open a Free Photobucket account an upload your pics to there. Then copy and paste the IMG Code into your iBoats thread. Once we can see what you're working on we'll be able to offer much better advice.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Graco1

Cadet
I am not able to get back to the boat until next weekend. I will try to post something then. Not much to see yet...just the hull and glassed floor with a coat of semigloss paint on it. I haven't built anything yet because I wanted to wait for some feedback.

I'll try to get some pictures on here soon.

Thanks,

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If you plan on using ridged foam just remember that polyester resin will melt it ..Unless you glue a plywood skin over it first like 1/4" . You would need to use epoxy over foam ...
:welcome:

Graco1

Cadet
That's what I am looking for. Thanks. Would you mind suggesting what type of fiberglass and suggest the resin system? I would appreciate it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
As Woody said , pics would be helpful ... Just me thinking and I'm no professional ... I would use poly resin over plywood using CSM and maybe some 1708 bi-axle for the tabbing ... A sketch of what you want to do would be good .. You can do a mock up of the console using some cardboard ....

Graco1

Cadet
I was trying to not use plywood. One of the big boat builders around here told me that they are finishing their big boats with either foam or honey comb and then glass. Is there a reason you suggested plywood?

Thanks,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Polyresin, as stated will eat the foam. If you cover it with plastic packing tape you could use it for your core form. Or you could use epoxy resin (Lots more expensive but it won't eat the foam.)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
. Is there a reason you suggested plywood?

Thanks,

Just thought it would be easier ... Depending on what is being mounted to your console . If foam core there may be need of some backing for electronics ect ...
You looking to keep weight down or just looking to keep wood out of the project ...

Graco1

Cadet
Thanks Woodonglass.

Sphelps, weight was the main thought. I guess I could use luaan or 1/4 plywood and it wouldn't add much weight, correct?

Graco1

Cadet
Not to get too many questions going at once...the hull has some ridges in it from where someone sanded it with an angle grinder and aggressive paper. maybe 1/16" deep here and there.

How would you guys fill or smooth that out? I think I read west system and microblooms for body then block sand smooth like you would finishing drywall almost.

Is this even close to accurate?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Are going to gell coat or paint .
If gell then you should use Poly resin .
If paint you can use poly or epoxy ..
You can use luaan if you want ..you could glue that to your foam also if ya go that route ..

Graco1

Cadet
Thanks. I will try to get some pictures on here when I get back to the boat. I appreciate the time and help.