Is my transom suppsoed to bow out ?

TomToms

Seaman Apprentice
So, I have completely torn down my boat and I am at the point where I am cutting the wood for my new transom. Issue is the fibreglass is really bowing out in the middle. It's at least an inch further out than at the sides. Is this how it's supposed to be? Or should I try clamping it straight when I put the transom in?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It depends on the make and model of the boat. Some boats have bowed/curved transoms. Others have perfectly flat transoms. As previously stated posting pics of your boat will help us determine how it should be. Also, if you lay a straight edge along the bottom of the boat from corner to corner you should be able to tell pretty quickly if it's straight or curved since this part of the hull will be very rigid.

jbcurt00

Staff member
He has a topic aboit his Thunderbird/Formula tri-hull.

Probably NOT supposed to bow out.. Its been too long waiting for a transom repair

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Look at the cap, the top of the transom should follow the same contour.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well based on the Adverstising pics posted in your original thread, it appears to me that, in fact, your transom DOES have a slight curvature in it. I can't be absolutely sure about it, but it sure looks like it to me.;)

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
The transom in one of my boats is curved leading to some interesting techniques to install new one. As it was said before, it depends on your make/model. Also as Ondarvr pointed out, compare it to the shape of the cap.Most importantly, post pictures.