Casting platform on a jon, help with build.

presta24

Seaman Apprentice
Getting ready to buy a new tracker 1542 riveted jon. Want to start off with a casting platform up front and mounting a trolling motor. Looks likes the best for the framing in aluminum. How do I attache the frame to the boat?

Ned L

Commander
You may well find that boat to be to small and light for a 'casting platform' that you are planning to stand on. ...... Unless you are really into balancing and tightrope walking.

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Presta and welcome!
Pics of the boat and areas you want to place the casting deck will help with your efforts in planning. It will help us to see what you see so that recommendations can be provided. There are a ton of great projects were casting decks were added here, did you search and find any of them?

Frey

presta24

Seaman Apprentice
I have searched quite a bit and pretty much know how to build it, I just cant seem to get a clear answer on how the frame work is attached to the boat itself.

presta24

Seaman Apprentice
You may well find that boat to be to small and light for a 'casting platform' that you are planning to stand on. ...... Unless you are really into balancing and tightrope walking.

All of the bass boat poor people do this with 14' John's they actually work pretty well from the reviews I have seen.

Ned L

Commander
OK, very well. .........
I was just basing my comment on this pic, which is a Bass tracker 1542. There is a good bit of rocker to the bottom up forward which is not good for providing a stable platform.

Topper-1542-LW-Riveted-Jon_img150775_900.jpg

presta24

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here is the boat, and something similar to what I want. Only I want it to stop short of the front bench to allow some one to sit firward facing on the bench and have leg room. Also what to have a hatch for 2 trilling motor bats and on board charger.

Attachments

• photo242821.jpg
    photo242821.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242822.jpg
    photo242822.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4459060_20130912152421380_1_LARGE.jpg
    4459060_20130912152421380_1_LARGE.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
While Ned has a valid point people have done it with small boats than what you're looking at and been happy with the results. Before building anything take the boat out and stand up on the middle bench this should give you an idea of how high you're comfortable making your deck.

Use rivets to attach everything to the boat and to tie all the framing together. For the framing, without knowing what you want for a layout I'll start you off with the suggestion to run a piece of angle across the faces of the benches attached at whatever hieght you decide is good for the deck. Then go between them to achieve your desired layout. I would add legs down to the cross ribs @ the floor to add support.

presta24

Seaman Apprentice
Was looking to use aluminum for the frame. Do I need to seal the rivets with marine sealant?

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
The drawing that TDF provided should be very helpful. As far as the marine sealant goes, if the rivet goes through the hull where water is on the other side, yes you want to seal the rivets. If you don't have to go through the hull on the outside and the rivets don't come into contact with water then no. Hope that helps. If you stop short of the bench seats so there is room to sit and face forward you will have to get creative with the bracketing you come up with and will likely have to have fasteners that go through the hull.

Frey

Last edited: