1984 Bumble Bee Floor Repair

Swoffybee

Recruit
Hello iBoaters, I am new to the boat repair game and I would ask for you guys' encouragement and knowledge through this project. I am aware that there is a potential that when I rip the floor out, I will also have to repair the stringers and transom, but I don't want to think about that right now LOL. I have already started the tear down and have gotten all the rivets out that attach the cap to the hull. I have the front separated but I cannot get the rear loose. I need your input and would like some people with experience to walk with me through this process as I will keep you updated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Typically on Bass Boats the transom lip is Glue to the transom. You'll need to use a Sawsall and cut the fiberglass just in front of the inner transom wall. If you don't have access from the inside you'll need to guess-ti-mate it's location from the outside and plunge cut. It's easy to repair on the go-back!!

Swoffybee

Recruit
Typically on Bass Boats the transom lip is Glue to the transom. You'll need to use a Sawsall and cut the fiberglass just in front of the inner transom wall. If you don't have access from the inside you'll need to guess-ti-mate it's location from the outside and plunge cut. It's easy to repair on the go-back!!
So just to be clear, you would cut the fiberglass just in front of the lip that sits on the transom? how far forward should I go? And how would I repair it when I am ready to put it back together? Sorry for all the questions, I have no experience with separating a cap from the hull. I took a picture of where it looks like the cap is glued to the transom, if that helps, it is attached in the link.

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
swoffy i can help you as im working a v154 myself. bumble bee uses resin to connect the splashwell to the the beam that braces the transom i had to cut the strip loose on mine to get it free.

Swoffybee

Recruit
88, thanks for the input. I took a look at your rebuild and it helps out a whole lot. Do you have a picture of where you cut your cap to get it off? That would help a ton.

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
im sorry i dont but if you look under the splashwell from the inside you will see a thin strip of fiberglass. this is a very thin piece to cut.

Swoffybee

Recruit
Thanks, I will give it a shot tomorrow and hopefully get the cap off and see the damage.