Products for Sealing, Priming and Painting a 16' Aluminum Fishing Boat

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a simple 16' aluminum fishing boat with a soft spot in the deck. So I'm going to replace it. I figured while it's all empty I would remove paint that the previous owner rattle canned which is now flaking and pealing.

I plan to blast it with glass beads to remove the paint, fill all the old holes and then seal it. So... I am looking at using Gluvit Sealer. Is that any good?

After it's sealed I planned to use Alumi-Chrom by Sea Hawk. Good? Bad? Suggestions?

And then I had noticed that Mantis270 used InterProtect 200E by Interlux for his paint on his boat resotration. I like that light grey look. Any experience with that product?

All this stuff is extremely expensive. So I want to make sure I'm using products that will last for a very long time and not start flaking off in 3 years.

Any ideas, thoughts, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
A lot of the members chose to go a bit less expensive...Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Check out the link. It is a bit more than straight tractor paint. Wood ads hardener to it. The link is worth the read. Most here use this system with incredible results. If you are trailering the boat this is the way I would go. I leave my boat in the water all season so I went with Nason single stage enamel with great results, but it hurt the wallet real good.

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Check out the link. It is a bit more than straight tractor paint. Wood ads hardener to it. The link is worth the read. Most here use this system with incredible results. If you are trailering the boat this is the way I would go. I leave my boat in the water all season so I went with Nason single stage enamel with great results, but it hurt the wallet real good.

There will be times during the summer when the boat would be in the water for a week straight. Would that be allowable with this system?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's about the maximum you'd want to leave it. We're talking Fresh Water, right???

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's about the maximum you'd want to leave it. We're talking Fresh Water, right???

Correct. I take it to Canada once a year and then Lake Vermilion and dock it for the week I'm there. A week maximum concerns me. I plan one day to own some land on a lake and have it docked for longer periods of time. I'm wondering if I should go another route. Any suggestions?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Gluvit or Coat It will work, Coat It is normally a little less money. You don't need much, only enough to seal the rivets.