Project boat

ericschmidt68

Recruit
My son and I are in the process of rebuilding/converting a small boat into a poling skiff, We have a the new floor glassed in as well all of the support structure for the new deck/cap. I will be pulling wires and plumbing bait-well etc next. I plan to use 1/2" birch for the deck and a 1x2 hardwood around the edge to attach the rub-rail to. I plan to glass both sides of the deck with 6 oz and epoxy. I will paint it gray with a epoxy paint and tape off the edges and around hatches and then kiwi grip or similar non skid the entire thing. My main question is will the overlapping of the cloth cause a hump? Do I need to fair the entire thing or just the obvious spots? Also I plan to epoxy fillet the tops of all of my grid and the perimeter to attach the deck, is there a better way? 01313_bXNZAnKVCZB_600x450.jpg 00404_70nNiHL2QBG_600x450.jpg grid.jpg grid.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Nothing technical to add I'm not they guy for that but like the lines of the hull. What is your steering set up?

mackman68

Recruit
Thanks, the plan is a tiller but if I find a great deal on a motor with controls I'll build a small mahogany side console.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well, welcome to the forum, both of you, although yalls combine 6 posts in 4ish years means you are what we call a 'lurker':)

Keep posting picture.

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander
That looks like a fun project. About the easiest way to fasten the deck is to carefully mark on the top side of the plywood where all of the framing is, lay a bead of adhesive along the top of the framing, set the plywood in place and nail every 4-6" with small non-ferrous nails (bronze anchor fast or something similar). With 6 oz cloth it will be pretty easy to fair in the overlap hump (it's not much of a hump). I personally would use something different than birch plywood (even ACX or BCX fir is ok).

mackman68

Recruit
Yes, I'm a lurker. Thanks for advice, if I do that iguess I wouldn't be glossing the underside? I thought nailing/screwing through the glass was a no no. As a carpenter I prefer glue and screws over epoxy fillets but was told the latter was better.