Carpet "backing" wich one?

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello Guys!
Now is time to carpeting my boat floor and Im confused about which carpet backing is better for my application take a look to this pics.

First pics arte from Home Depot, this one have no backing like rubber or vynil so I think this one will work since the water will run faster to bilge area and there is no holdings also carpet will dry faster. Either of the carpets are Marine Grade but are indoor/outdoor

Front Home...

Back of Carpet

This one is from Lowes and have a vynil backing on it

Front

Back

I dont know If Im right but maybe with the first option carpet it could be use 3M Upholstery glue (spray can) or Marine Grade 1/4 or gallon glue. any suggestion and or ideas please....

Floor is in gelcoat and new wood ready to get in (not pictured)

Last edited:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
You want to use contact cement like weldwood brand is very good. Also, you REALLY should use a marine grade carpet. Indoor/outdoor won't last long. IMHO

krakatoa

You want to use contact cement like weldwood brand is very good. Also, you REALLY should use a marine grade carpet. Indoor/outdoor won't last long. IMHO
my worries about the marine grade carpet is that the carpet have like a vinyl backet which doesnt allow the water flow away

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Krakatoa,
Welcome! Just my opinion here, but I belive that you want the marine grade carpet that has the vinyl backing as it serves as a barrier for water, preventing it from getting to the floor, leading to rot. For me and my project, I plan to use the marine grade carpet for this reason. I personally don't believe that the carpet without the backing will aid in allowing the water to "flow" any easier, and my in fact make it worse (assuming that it becomes soaked and puddles). These are just my thoughts on this, others in the forum with WAAAAY more experience with this than I will chime in with their thoughts.

Good luck and keep us posted with your project!

Frey

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Which ever type you choose make sure you walk on it with your bare feet first. A course carpet may not be very comfortable.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Your thinking about water flow is flawed. You don't want the water to flow through the carpet backing and onto the boat deck surface below. You want the vinyl backing of the carpet to stop the water from getting through the carpet down to the decks surface and the adhesive. That's why it's made this way. The fibers of the carpet are totally water resistant and will still allow some water flow. However this is inherently one of the problems of carpet on a boat. It DOES hold water. You need to use a wet/dry shop vac to get the water out of it and keep it dry. A deep pile carpet is much more problematic than a short pile. No matter which length of pile you choose you should always choose one with a vinyl backing and then install it with a good contact adhesive.

krakatoa

Ok then, after a while looking here and there I find a warehouse with some marine grade carpet there is a few picture of what I found locally, its have a rubber backing (really not sure if vinyl or rubber) take a look:

Original Carpet and new one, old one looks like same backing as the new one...

Anyway if anyone knows a good link regarding marine carpet installation and or to make template please let me know.

Last edited:

krakatoa

Krakatoa,
Welcome! Just my opinion here, but I belive that you want the marine grade carpet that has the vinyl backing as it serves as a barrier for water, preventing it from getting to the floor, leading to rot. For me and my project, I plan to use the marine grade carpet for this reason. I personally don't believe that the carpet without the backing will aid in allowing the water to "flow" any easier, and my in fact make it worse (assuming that it becomes soaked and puddles). These are just my thoughts on this, others in the forum with WAAAAY more experience with this than I will chime in with their thoughts.

Good luck and keep us posted with your project!

Frey
You are right but topics about carpeting is like talk about politics or religion there is a lot of opinions, but looks like the backing options is better than no backing in a carpet, at the end of the road it will hold water in any way.... Hope the carpet I posted here fits my needs

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The carpet in your pics will work just fine. This video might be of interest...

krakatoa

The carpet in your pics will work just fine. This video might be of interest...
Nice video Woodonglass, now have to find around a plastics like the one in the video for the template.

So that carpet will do just fine right?

krakatoa

here are a few pictures about making a pattern from scratch Im sure that I will do this pattern again, just is a start, doesnt look that bad.

just in case I have new wood for gas tank ready for installation

more to come!

krakatoa

Here is an update of the carpet project. This marine carpet is not an easy carpet to handle is too heavy and thick(26 onz) but its already laydown on the boat and almost ready to glue it. Just a few pull here and there to get rid of a few wrinkles.... Oh! did like my new shiny steering wheel? : )