1985 bayliner bottom kote

Mississippian

Recruit
I have several questions about fiber glass bottom kotes I've recently been contacted by a friend who has purchased a 1985 bayliner nice boat except the bottom kote is chipping pilling cracked and a total eye sore and I can't find a bottom kote this color burgundy and none that come in tintable base which leads me to believe the previous owner made a mistake the boat will not be docked after use it will be trailered home is there anything I can get in tintable base that I can clean up this mess with Ive been reading up on it and so far I have only gotten more confused the boat will be in fresh water And I've read that rustolium marine oil based enamel is the way to go Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance. The Mississippian

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If she's gunna be a Trailer Queen and NOT be stored Long Term in the water then I'd recommend Grinding/Sanding all that nasty bottom Kote off of her and check the condition of the Gelcoat. You might not have to do anything!!!! WEAR a Good Respirator cuz that Bottom Coat Paint is some Very Nasty Stufff and WILL mess up your Lungs!!!!

Mississippian

Recruit
Thanks woodonglass I'm going to try that and keep my fingers crossed that all is good under the scaley bark .