1988 wellcraft bowrider to cuddy" conversion (Splashed)

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Wow mick awesome job on your boat. Total custom just read through your tread. About the plexiglass window on my boat it was so cloudy and scratched I thought I was going to have to replace it. Got looking around my garage and found a headlight restore kit so I thought what the heck give it a try and see what happens. It cleaned it up pretty good. Probably could have got it way clearer if I had wet sanded with like a 1000 grit first. I'm tall enough that I look over it but the wife isn't so that kind of bugged her and I didn't really like the way it looked but it's way clear now. Might be somthing you could try before replacing with real glass for now

Attachments

• photo253009.png
    photo253009.png
    853.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253010.png
    photo253010.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
https://youtu.be/hu3CiLRXmQY listen , I don't know if its flywheel or what but it is very quiet at low rpm and gets louder but at high rpm you cant hear it over engine and engine runs great , I took a poor mans stethoscope " wooden broom handle" along entire engine and man she sounds great internally , thoughts?
Mick,
Try using the other end of the broom!!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have you checked the valve covers with the broom stick? Maybe even the intake. There might be a loose baffle somewhere internally. Maybe even a broken or loose rocker? Lifter going bad that pumps up after a certain rpm? Otherwise I would use the broom trick along the drive line as far back as you can go. Never having worked on an I/O I don't know how far back you can get but worth a shot. I have always used a length of heater hose to check for engine noises. I could never stand the strands of straw in my ears. :lol: good one kcassells

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well ... shes apart and was definateley engine cracked piston and possible cracked cylinder in same hole, it could be just rust transposed from crack and created a mirror image while it sat all those years but if I rebuild it will definitely be magnafluxed anyways
20160925_163520.jpg

20160925_163440.jpg

20160925_162718.jpg

20160925_154803.jpg

lookit the sludge!! good thing I tore it down anyways!
20160925_154807.jpg

20160925_154742.jpg

20160925_154748.jpg

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
rod bearings look perfect still so that's a + and crank will be next to come out but after putting lift together and yanking the engine and tearing down to here , this one man show is beat! lol

Pusher

Lieutenant
You're going to have a good season next year! Imagine ignoring that until it became a problem right before a three day weekend next summer.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
dude , I'm so anal when it comes to mechanicals the tick these 3.0 put off drove me crazy till I put a dog house over it and even then .... lol but this clanking was over the top under load , sad engine ran great and pushed boat along great as well , now to find a complete rebuild kit and get pricing rebuild compared to new ... verdict still out

Pusher

Lieutenant
Yeah, I've given up on this season too. Can't rush perfection right?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
dude , I'm so anal when it comes to mechanicals the tick these 3.0 put off drove me crazy till I put a dog house over it and even then .... lol but this clanking was over the top under load , sad engine ran great and pushed boat along great as well , now to find a complete rebuild kit and get pricing rebuild compared to new ... verdict still out

I disliked how much noise the 3.0 makes that along with the HP I swapped it out for a V6. Hard to believe that it would run long that dirty inside. Be easy to drag some of that crud into an oil passage and plug up a cam or rod bearing.

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow Mick good call on tearing it down. And like Pusher said you will have a good season next year. At least you won't be stranded in the middle of a lake somewhere

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Mick,
That's some really good mechanical skills you have there! It's always nice to see you working it. Well you got a great rebuild that floats and a leetle more engine work to pass the season. I'm sure come next season you'll have another project in your driveway.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You really get at it Mick. I don't miss the smell of that sludge one bit. Good job just pulling the motor and having a looksie. Magnaflux is the way to go. I'd do crank and rods too. Maybe even the head. Shame you live so far away. I've got a good friend who does some of the best work I have seen. I don't know if you have a guy but I could probably ask him if he knows anyone down that way. He has been doing this since he was 12. HE took over his dads machine shop that has been around since the early sixties. Let me know and I'll give him a shout.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hey Mick ! You ready for this thing headed our way ? The Admiral is in panic mode ... Hope it heads out more easterly ...

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hope all is well Mick, noticed you haven't posted in a week or so. Good luck to all you guys in the path of the storm. Praying it goes east

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Geezz thanks....I'm in the East! :laugh:
All aside I hope all bear well with this storm.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well shes sitting on side of house and we got this storm coming on us so it will be interesting to see if she can handle 130 mph winds or whatever we get , will suck if she gets smashed but not much I can do , stay safe folks :)
you can google earth us palm coast florida lol rt next to I 95 !