1988 wellcraft bowrider to cuddy" conversion (Splashed)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ok that white paint on the cabin roof... omg its going to blind me!
20160717_1810561.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Looks to me like you're getting closer to SPLASH! Very nice job on all of your fabrication. Are you using Epoxy Resin or Poly?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
using poly but only used it on the floor of fiberglass hull and roofs side wood is just painted since a trailer boat and have covered storage I don't think I needed to encapsulate it its a test we will see how it goes :) if it was water boat or stored outside year around id be more worried but alas this is just getting my feet wet for a bigger project , I probably have more fun building then I do on the water lol.
down the road I will study the progress of the wood and see how it hold up , I really fear encapsulation because a hairline crack and all that money is wasted top side
on stringers and floor I did use poly and encapsulated it I tested the strength of the adhesion by first wetting out a piece then wrapping it then letting it dry and taking a sledge hammer to it it would not break or delam so I took and took a hammer drill with a flat bit and beat on it still nothing only thing I did after was took a screw driver from side and pried it off and it took wood with it so I was convinced the extra 20% from epoxy is not needed in this application :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I got all my merc cruiser tools from ebay and a bellows kit and sending units and water pump so next task is to tear it down and rebuild it before I hanfg it back on the boat , wood , I'm having trouble finding self etching primer locally you said Walmart or farm supply?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Found self etching paint at lowes but now i got to get some bellows adhesive for final assembly , i also ordered and recieved 2 transom position units figured replace em now before i get it all done

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
20160729_202901.jpg
[/URL]
interior is allot more fun to work on I feel like I am getting somewhere now :) hoping to be able to take all the scrap out of yard sunday and get that back in shape !

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
MR , just read through your project ... Wow she looks like a complete different boat ... Do you worry any of raising the cog with the extra weight up higher ?
Very nice fabrication !

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Well i thought about it but this boat the floor is below chines so with engine and people at that level that more then offsets the weight up top only thing i know is that it will be subject to more wind but in protected waters i dont feel thats a major issue at 17 ft she will never see anything bigger then a bay lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Would it be better to remount sterndrive to transom before replacing bellows or after?

Nothingman

Cadet
Here is the sticker that is currently in our boat....its almost faded into oblivion... There isn't much more to make out on this thing than you can see in the picture. sorry! If there is something specific you need to know off of it please let me know and i will try looking at it with different color lights in the dark. Cant wait to see what you do with the cabin on this beauty!

notlef

Seaman
Cool project!
As for the Bellows, I assume you have an Alpha 1 Outdrive. You will have to mount the transom plate and gimbal housing. Then install the bellows to the gimbal housing and then install the bell housing.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Thanks i was wondering guess ill tear it all down paint mount then install thanks for reply

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Here is the sticker that is currently in our boat....its almost faded into oblivion... There isn't much more to make out on this thing than you can see in the picture. sorry! If there is something specific you need to know off of it please let me know and i will try looking at it with different color lights in the dark. Cant wait to see what you do with the cabin on this beauty!

Was wondering what the capacity was as i was going to get a new plate made after i checked weight

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No Title

made a temporary snap on rear cover for boat to protect it , looked like it was going to storm so I hastily cut and made snaps lol

Attachments

• photo249588.jpg
    photo249588.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
got the gimbal housing all disassembled there appears to be some corrosion at botton as usual but nothing major, should I sand the bellows receivers to make sure they are smooth as possible or just remove old adhesive and use? also the gasket area that touched the boat on back had some corrosion so I sanded it smooth , should I repaint that or will the paint cause it to leak? or just use 5200 to seal it up?

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
MR, Keep up the good work. There are many 'lurkers' out there, myself included, your build is certainly entertaining, and I like it! I am a tin boat guy, and know NOTHING about 'glass, but this is interesting! Your fab work looks very good. Any worries about being top heavy, or cracking of the lower half of your vessel due to the increased weight?

Frey

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No worries of weight i should have shown but supports consist of 2 bulkheads to floor and side supports to chines chine was capped with a 2x2 to spread weight throught chines