1991 MIRROCRAFT TROLLER XL REBUILD/RESTORE

Dignified09@gmail.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do I have to get all the old paint off first? If so, how do I do this watermann? Is it easy?

I'm going to look at paint this morning.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Do I have to get all the old paint off first? If so, how do I do this watermann? Is it easy?

I'm going to look at paint this morning.

Easy, uh no it's one of the worst jobs on the whole process but when done having clean AL to work with is the best. Sure some say sand and scuff up the old paint and shoot over it but to get all the scratches, chips and dings out of it would drive me nuts and then to have fresh new paint over 40 year old would send me over the edge. :lol:

Chemical stripper is the best way I;ve found to remove the paint and once it blisters use a pressure washer to blast it off and then apply again and use a 3M scrub pad with a handle to get the rest off. Just make sure nothing is around that it will get on or you'll be in trouble.

My entire 18' SS was painted as was my Chief and SN. This is what the SS looked like when I was done stripping the paint.

IMAG2152.jpg

Watermann

I used Klean strip liquid sprayable but if you can't find it the orange label with all the snot wads work good too. Then I found the Jasco stuff that worked the best towards the end.

026452002034lg.jpg

Last edited:

Dignified09@gmail.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Watermann, you werent kidding :eek:

Heres some of the materials and products I used for my paint stripping mission:

(this can become a dirty, labor intensive job, take the time to do a good job and it will turn out really well) Took me an entire day to accomplish this look but I am also 25 yrs old.

To get the graphic stickers off:

20160521_205149.jpg

To strip the hull of previous factory paint:

20160521_205252.jpg

Hull before primer, as much paint removed as possible:

20160522_175628.jpg

20160522_184954.jpg

20160522_185009.jpg

First couple coats of primer, Isnt she beautiful? This is some really nice stuff. We will be giving her a few more coats of primer, and then adding some color.

20160522_230611.jpg

20160522_230816.jpg

20160522_230436.jpg

Watermann

Looking good :thumb:

So what did you decide on for primer and paint brands/types?

Tnstratofam

Commander
That's a lot of hard work. Looks great though. Primer turned out good. What color are you going with?

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks really good so far Dig! Keep at it, cant wait to see the paint color choice, I know if I'm excited you must be "giddy" about it!

Frey

Dignified09@gmail.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How should I go about fixing this? Theres a good size gash from what looks like the boat being beached or something toward the front on the right side keel. Heres a picture of it. also a few more up front. its not thru the keel but it looks close

Use JB Weld to fill/mold into shape? the grey colored stuff is sandable right?

Snapchat-4479659729743389463.jpg

Snapchat-1735357453819680909_1.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

The JB water weld will fill those if you think you need to. The keel strip is riveted on and won't leak inside even if punctured. Once the boats on a trailer or in the water it will never be seen again unless you crawl under it or run someone over that is :lol:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree!!! Heck, If you make her "Too Purdy" the fish will get distracted and stop biting!!!:eek::D

Dignified09@gmail.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Haha, thanks guys. Ill just leave it alone.

What is the purpose of the keel anyway? Could someone explain that to me since I brought it up and I am learning all kinds of things.

Thanks

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey there Dig....my .$02 worth, is to not bother with the small sctraches, but do plug up the holes or divots in the keel. That JB Weld that Watermann spoke about is like "PlayDough" for boaters (well kind of) but is moldable and then sandable, so you could easily take care of that for just a few pennies and a short amount of your time. Since you are spending all this time to do this right, might as well fix this too...just my simple mind here and opinion...

Good work, coming along!

Frey

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh forgot to mention the dead mosquitos made me laugh (in the pic!).:laugh:

Frey

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
The keel acts as a rudder (wrong word but the best comparison I've got) of sorts that helps the boat to track straight.

I too took note of the squitos, wet paint must be like crack to bugs.

Watermann

The keel acts as a rudder (wrong word but the best comparison I've got) of sorts that helps the boat to track straight.

Spar is like bug candy!

What TDF said and it gives you grip in turns. It's attached by rivets to all of the ribs too adding lateral stability to the hull like a spine of sorts. You also see first hand what else it does, that strip takes abuse from some of us dingbat boaters so the hull skin doesn't have to. ;)

Last edited:

Dignified09@gmail.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is, haha. We sprayed primer in the dark end of day with a spotlight so yeah the bugs stuck and ended there life.

Dignified09@gmail.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys I want to remove this metal shelf and 2 posts that were old school rod racks. There were old school rubber fasteners that sat in those channels and you could only hold 2 rods. Neither of them serve any purpose for me at all. I think it will give me more room in the boat for something else.

I understand how to remove the rivets,(they are closed ended rivets) but how should I fill the holes (8 rivets total) (all above waterline) pictured below:

4 hold the shelf horizontally, and 2 hold each rod rack vertically. again, shown below.

Thanks.

20160501_185100_1.jpg