1964 Starcraft Dart I think?

A few years ago my grand parents passed away. I decided to pull out the old boat that was buried in the garage for the last 35yrs. After only minimal work I got her running and I am amazed at the condition of this GEM! It's 14' and has a 1968 Johnson 6hp workhorse. Original seat cushions, steering wheel, and everything. Can anyone tell me what they think about this boat? I'm wondering how valuable an old original gem like this could be worth now a days.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 7

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

In absolutely perfect condition, she's worth maybe 4-500 bucks or a little more as long as you can find right buyer.

She's just another old boat, not a barn find Ferrari.

Are you keeping or selling her?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As my guess suggested. Scrap price is way less than $100, more like 50 bucks on a good day if it's cleaned up to just aluminum.

Keep her and enjoy the family memories.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I love tin boats and that one is a real beauty, it can handle a much bigger motor than that too.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unfortunately, original, old tin boats are 'valued' by many as what can be done to 'convert' them into fishing boats.

Countless great old boats suffered tremendous devistation from a sawzall....

Thats a wonderful, small, closed bow runabout. Clean it up and enjoy USING it. Hopefully she'll attract attention while trailered, at the ramp and cruising.

Currently the US average for scrap 5052 aluminum is about $0.60/lb. From here
https://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-p...scraps/315/1/1

The Dart weighs less then 250lbs and ALL of the aluminum would need to be cleaned bare and free of all paint and glue residue to get 60cents/lb. So from.the 250lbs, you'd deduct for wooden seats, foam cushions, windshield, flotation foam and etc.

Even at 250lbs, it'd net about 150, or more likely, less.

If you could find someone w a young family who remembers cruising in HIS grandfathers SC Dart, and you find and mount a similar period 30-45hp RUNNING outboard, you might get lucky and sell it for $12-1500 if the planets, your deity and just the right buyer all come together...

Otherwise, most buyers wont be looking for closed bow runabouts.

Enjoy it and forget worrying about what its worth. Its worth every penny you spent getting it water ready and running and will repay your efforts in great memories w your kids in their great grandfathers boat.

That ^^^ would be worth more to me then any possible sale price.

Welcome to iboats. Look around, you've stumbled into Starcraft central

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
well said jbcurt00! :thumb:

Unfortunately, guys like us who have a deep appreciation for vintage tin are few & far between.

You'd be better off keeping that old girl.

fetch

Do you have anymore pictures? :photo: