Help with refinishing and aluminum boat?

Jmule

Recruit
So my dad has an older boat, it is an 1980 something mirrocraft. The previous owner did a really half assed job of painting it. It's chipping and you can see all the brush strokes and what not. So what I am wondering is how should I go about refinishing it. I have read every possible thread about this and can't really find what I am looking for. I plan on stripping it down to bare aluminum and going from there. Theres about 2 crappy coats on it. So here's my questions
1.) What should I use to strip the old paint off. I'd prefer not to use the aircraft stripper. Would citristrip work?
2.) After everything is stripped, how do I get rid of the excess stripper so I can prime and paint it? Would a power washer work followed by soap and water and mineral spirits?
3 )after the stripper is cleaned off do I need to do anything special to further prepare it for priming?
4.)would zinc chromate primer work followed by some sort of paint? Any suggestion on paint?
5.)lastly is all I need the primer and paint or do I need any other coatings?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am quite the beginner and only 15 and doing this for my dad so any help would be great! I don't have too much money to put into it so cheader options would be nice.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
What paint remover works depends on the paint.
The aircraft stripper always works... its good stuff.

You have to get the aluminum CLEAN before re-paint. You already know what you get if its not clean... chipping, peeling paint.

Read the instructions on the stripper used for how to eliminate the residue.
Then I'd wipe it down with a rag dampened in acetone. (wear gloves and have good ventilation)

Yes, you want a self etching primer such as a zinc chromate.

Clear coating just makes touch ups harder.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This might be of interest...Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
between the time the aluminum is cleaned, then lightly sanded, you need to paint quickly. Aluminum starts to oxidize quicly.

if this boat is a trailer queen (not sitting in water its whole time), WOG's link to tractor paint works great

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Save yerself a ton of work, by just sandin' the paint on it, til yer down to solid smooth paint, then repaint it,.....

I, like WoG am a Rustoleum believer,.....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard Jmule.

So you read every thread possible about stripping and repainting an aluminum boat here at iboats and didn't find anything useful? :rolleyes:

I just finished stripping the paint off my 18' SS and found some stripper made by Jasco that was probably the best I've ever used.

99027683_amazoncom-jasco-premium-paint-epoxy-remover-gjbp00203---.jpg

Apply wait for the paint to start bubbling up and then pressure washed it off with a 20 degree tip. First pass about all that's left is what you missed and some of the alodine. Apply another light coat and use a 3M scrub pad to remove whats left. Pressure wash again and it's all clean. The 3M pad will put down a bunch of tiny fine scratches that'll help the self etching primer grab hold but not show through.

Wipe boat down with acetone and follow the directions in WOGs paint thread.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It is comendable that at 15, you would want to take this project on instead of burying your face in an iPhone watching youtube. The prep and paint part of boat building can be very confusing, especially if you have never done anything like this before. Read through WoGs method several times. It is quite comprehensive and thorough (and very affordable). If you don't understand something, just ask on this thread. WoG or someone will chime in to explain. This is a very helpful place and noone will give you bad advice. There will be various different opinions and it is up to you to decide which opinion to follow. I wish you luck in your project and include as many pics as you can if you plan on documenting the build here. You and your dad will be glad you did. I can tell you from my experience that refinishing a boat is one of the more satisfying hobbie's to have.

Some suggestions before you start. Take pictures of anything you are going to remove before you do so. It will help when putting back on. Store everything you take off in a box or container so you don't misplace anything. Make a list of things you'll need and what you need to do. A check off list helps you remember everything and also motivates you to be able to check off the next thing. Always work safely. Use chemical resistant gloves, and a mask when using any stripper. Also helps to wear long sleeve shirts and pants. Water neutralizes most strippers so have the hose on and close in case you get any on you. If you are overwhelmed, take a brake and relax. Your dad would feel horrible if you were to get hurt while doing this. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help or advice. I have only done this once so I wouldn't want to give you the wrong advice about the specifics of painting but i'm sure many here will be glad to help. Good luck. Your dad is a lucky father. I'm probably getting another #1 dad pen for father's day, your dad is getting a new paint job on his boat. Way to go

fhhuber

Lieutenant
gloves and dust mask...

and good ventilation.

These are to keep you from some potential severe health effects from the chemicals and sanding dust.
Some of the effects may not show for years.

I know you're 15 and feel bulletproof... But the chemicals can take your skin off and damage your lungs.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would add goggles too. The stuff can spatter. Think saftey in anything you do. When I was 15 I was building my first car. My dad would always yell at me for putting my hands under the engine while pulling it or putting it in. I thought he was over reacting. Several years later I had a chain break while the engine was coming out. Luckily I didn'the have my hands underneath at that time. I always thought I could get my hands out in time if it happened. I didn't realize what had happened until the engine was lying back in the engine compartment. Never put my hands under an engine ever again. Saftey is paramount when working with something as simple as a screwdriver. You want to take that first ride with all fingers and toes.

Jmule

Recruit
Thanks for the tips guys! I'll be sure to read over that thread a few more times. Right now I am in chemistry, and hearing some of the horror stories of misuse and carelessnes of handling chemicals in the lab definitely make me sure to use caution and proper saftey. I really appreciate the help!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In the lab is one thing, you are using a highly corrosive chemical over a large area. Spattering from the brush or leaning over the boat and touching the stuff with your shirt is easy even when being careful.

I think one of the first things you should do is fill the boat up with Water to an inch or so above the water line and check for leaks. I would hate to see you fix rivets after the boat is shiny. I am assuming it is a row boat with no floors. Floors will complicate matters since you'll have to pull them and get the flotation underneath out of the boat. In that case you might just want to carry on with stripping and worry about leaks when the floor gets soft. Sounds like your dad has owned and used the boat for a bit? As I have said, try to sit down and think of the whole project. Get things like leaks out of the way if possible before Paint so you're not doing something twice. Good luck and post some pics!!!

Jmule

Recruit
Is it alright if one day I strip all the paint off and power wash it, then another day sand it and prime it, then paint it another day or does everything have to be done fairly quickly? I'll be sure to wear some good rubber gloves, old clothes, goggles and a respirator when working with the stripper. Looking into the boat I see some caulk peeling away and I am guessing using caulk on a boat to repair a leak is a big no no haha. I guess I'll need to fix that too before I paint it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Snap a few pics of your project inside and out for us to see what you're working on. :joyous:

Jmule

Recruit
Thanks for your tips guys! I just started to strip the paint off today. I am using citristrip from home Depot and it seems to be working. I can see the paint blistering. I think I am going to try the method that woodonglass recomended. One I figured out how to popt pictures I'll get some

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Citra strip will work, you might have to do it a few times but you have time. There is a sticky on the top of the first page of this topic about how to post pics. It is one of the yellow subjects.