1958 Gale Buccaneer......help!

Enaebmik

Cadet
I have been wanting a small boat to enjoy with my grandson. Up until now, we have used a small jon boat with a trolling motor to run around the ponds in the Adirondacks area while camping. I have been looking at used boats on-line and when a 1959 Gale Buccaneer was posted for sale for just $350! I jumped! I had been reading about boat restoration and decided it was a project that I would love to do. I don't want to make a beautiful, perfect boat....I just want to have a safe boat that we can enjoy for a few years. I have been reading this site and looking at the restoration projects and am really inspired.

i just removed the floor in the boat and expected to see wooden stringers. Instead there are metal type beams? It was obvious that the floor I removed wasn't the original and had been installed very poorly. However, I was expecting to copy whatever I removed and now I can't do that as it was just plywood laying on top of the metal. Do you think there was originally wooden stringers? What would you do with this? Also, I expected to grind and sand...however, the floor isn't flat. It appears to have molded risers? I am not sure what I am looking at.

However, my real concern now that I have look at tons of pictures on-line of old boats is the condition of the exterior fiberglass. I can see all of the fibers of the cloth! I can't find any other pictures of boats in similiar condition. Does this mean the boat is worthless? Is there something I can paint on over the fibers to cover them? Any chance at all?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Someone on this website suggested purchasing the book, "Runabout Restoration" and I have ordered it and am awaiting delivery.

Enaebmik

Cadet
I have been wanting a small boat to enjoy with my grandson. Up until now, we have used a small jon boat with a trolling motor to run around the ponds in the Adirondacks area while camping. I have been looking at used boats on-line and when a 1959 Gale Buccaneer was posted for sale for just $350! I jumped! I had been reading about boat restoration and decided it was a project that I would love to do. I don't want to make a beautiful, perfect boat....I just want to have a safe boat that we can enjoy for a few years. I have been reading this site and looking at the restoration projects and am really inspired.

i just removed the floor in the boat and expected to see wooden stringers. Instead there are metal type beams? It was obvious that the floor I removed wasn't the original and had been installed very poorly. However, I was expecting to copy whatever I removed and now I can't do that as it was just plywood laying on top of the metal. Do you think there was originally wooden stringers? What would you do with this? Also, I expected to grind and sand...however, the floor isn't flat. It appears to have molded risers? I am not sure what I am looking at.

However, my real concern now that I have look at tons of pictures on-line of old boats is the condition of the exterior fiberglass. I can see all of the fibers of the cloth! I can't find any other pictures of boats in similiar condition. Does this mean the boat is worthless? Is there something I can paint on over the fibers to cover them? Any chance at all?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Someone on this website suggested purchasing the book, "Runabout Restoration" and I have ordered it and am awaiting delivery. fiberglass on boat.jpg boat no floor.jpg boat no floor 2.jpg

Attachments

• boat no floor 2.jpg
    boat no floor 2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat no floor.jpg
    boat no floor.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
  • fiberglass on boat.jpg
    fiberglass on boat.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 0

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Relatively "dry" fiberglassing you can see a lot of weave/fibers on the surface. This may not be a problem as long as the weave/mat had the fibers saturated. Just enough resin and no more.

You are used to seeing the glass with more resin than actually needed, which guarantees enough and just adds a bit of weight, not a problem for a boat, but the excess is avoided in aircraft. We use rags or paper towels to remove that excess.

Exactly what is going on is very difficult to tell by the photos and I'm not sure you can get a good enough photo. It kind of looks like the interior was painted and that would hide what I am looking for to say if it might have an issue.

That metal framing looks factory... its extremely even. I don't see any signs of a previous wood stringer system having been cut out in those pictures.
I also see no indications of rust/corrosion. I tend to think its something you should be happy about finding because changing stringers is a pain.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard ! Very cool runabout ! Are you sure the boat is a Gale Buccaneer .. I think those were outboards ... But I may be completely wrong ...
How are the ribs or metal stringers attached to the hull ? That may be a blessing ... How about some pics of the whole boat . Is the glass worn off the whole hull like in the pics or just a few spots ?

Enaebmik

Cadet
So if it is dry fiberglassing, so I need to put something special over it to protect it? Regular marine paint or does it need resin applied? Sorry I am brand new to this! I am going to pull the boat out into the driveway tomorrow after to wash it, I will try to get better pictures then. Thanks for taking the time to answer! Kim

Enaebmik

Cadet
The glass is worn off from most of the boat. I will take more pictures tomorrow when I pull it out of the garage. No, I am not sure it is a Gale...just what I was told and the dash emblem says gale... the motor says boat side.jpg boat front.jpg

Enaebmik

Cadet
The glass is worn off from most of the boat. I will take more pictures tomorrow when I pull it out of the garage. No, I am not sure it is a Gale...just what I was told and the dash emblem says gale... the motor says Buccaneer

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You could sand and make it smooth and fill but I think I would install a layer of glass over it .. It's really worn ... Lets see if some more experienced will chime in ...
Might pm ondarvar and see what he thinks . Woodonglass will prolly zero in on this one also ..

Enaebmik

Cadet
I am SO excited! I tried just a little bit of sanding and it comes perfectly smooth! I had to work today, so no time to really get into it, but have the day off tomorrow....will get my chores done early and then will be sanding the boat! I will post pictures tomorrow.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nothing al all to worry about. In Fact your have a Diamond in the rough!!! She's a great boat with GREAT BONES. All you need to do is wash her out really well, ensure the aluminum ribbed substructure is still firmly attached to the hull in all places. Once you get that done it just a matter of making your new deck and installing it.

Enaebmik

Cadet
Wow, thanks for the links. I am learning so much. Had never even heard the term MFG before. Now, after looking at these pictures and reading the information, I understand this is exactly what I have. I am search for my mask to get sanding. After I finish the sanding today, I will wash her out good and see what I have. Pictures coming at the end of the day. So excited!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
She may not be an MFG ... Although they did make some hulls for other manufacturers... They did not have a Gale model .. Do you have a picture of the Gale emblem on the dash ? Not much comes up on it on a search and fiberglassics library does not have it listed either ...

Tnstratofam

Commander
Although We own 2 bowriders I love the look of these old runabouts. Looks like you have a great start and all the right people are tuned in to help you out. I personally think Sphelps and Woodonglass have two of the nicest fiberglass runabouts on this site. You should check out their threads when you have time. Lots of good info in them. Keep up the good work, and I'll be tagging along.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
It was the construction that reminded me of Jon's but now that you pointed it out and I looked back, I see the differences.