What to coat drink cooler/minnow box and how to insulate

vetting

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the process of redoing a drink cooler/minnow box on my boat. It was previously gel coated and then someone at one point painted on the inside with some crappy paint. I'm in the process of sanding the old paint off and filling in all of the gaps and cracks. Can I just recoat it with some restoleum using harder? Should I just regelcoat it? Also, I need to insulate the outside of the box and I do have access to it. Should I just use canned spray foam or would hard pink foam work better and then epoxy/glass the outside of it?

Attachments

• photo241763.jpg
    photo241763.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would suggest gelcoat, probably 3 coats with a small roller, or spray

and for insulation, they make a good spray-on insulation in a can (not Great Stuff), one that actually sprays. its pricey

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Actually... part of how to do it depends on how hard it is to pull out and how much space you have to put it back (how much foam will fit through the hole if its already attached to the tub)

Might consider building a box under the deck out of pink builder's foam to drop the tub into... You can fit the pieces through the hole, glue in place and with a couple of extra holes to allow the condensation that will form between insulation and tub (not much) to drip out you should be good.
Don't forget the hole for the drain connection.