89 Rinker rebuild by a first-timer

Rusty81

Recruit
Hello all! First off, I just want to say thank you to all of the people on these boards. All the different topics and discussions have been very helpful to me as I've been progressing through my rebuild. Being my first time owning and taking on a "project", you've made it easier.

So, here's my story so far:
Last summer I decided to buy a boat. I wanted something cheap and that I could put some work into. I bought an '89 18' Rinker bowrider with a 140 merc that was in pretty rough shape inside. the last owner was a "mechanic" and assured me a new set of points and a carb rebuild was all I'd need engine-wise. WRONG!!

After gutting the hull behind the dash, I struggled to get the engine to turn. After a quart of paint thinner and tranny fluid i finally got the pistons freed, but ultimately decided I was going to strip it to the block and start fresh. Rebuilt it over the fall/winter and got it running smooth in the garage! First time undertaking something like that, so I was quite pleased. now that I know she'll run, I can actually move on to seats and flooring.

I'll add photos later of my progress so far and what's to come. Maybe a question here and there too.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm yeah, unless she was stored inside or exceptionally well cared for, don't be surprised if the Deck, stringers, bulkheads, motor mounts and transom all need some attention. Before you put the motor back in make sure to check ALL of these components.

Rusty81

Recruit
Yeah, it's going to need some work. I stripped it down to the skeleton in the fall. Stringers are ok and the transom is solid. I'm hoping to get it back to my place and start the reconstruction soon.

Rusty81

Recruit
So, its been a busy summer of boating for me, and ups and downs with my Rinker. I finished the boat just in time for my annual bass fishing trip first week of July.
Needed some throttle/forward cable adjustments and a new set of seals in the top end after that, but running pretty well now. going to show some pics and steps along the way...