Motor mount question

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Ok I have a quick question. While lowering my new motor in my dancer, I noticed that when I went to bolt down the front motor mounts to the fiberglass that there was one bolt hole that was stripped out. I tried a longer lag bolt and it is still slightly stripped. Is there something I can maybe pour into the hole to let it cure and then I could try another lag bolt to see if that will maybe do the job? I was thinking of maybe mixing some fiberglass resin with some hardener and pour it into the bolt hole and let it harden...whatcha think of that?

jbcurt00

Staff member
The Sundancer?

I/O motor mounts w stripped bolt holes are usually soft. Are you 100% sure they are solid? How did you check?

There is no Fiberglass resin, its polyester, vinylester or epoxy resin. None of them but epoxy is up to the job IF the mounts are solid.....

The mounts effect I/O alignment, if the holes are stripped they may be wallowed out too. So re-alignment before permanent repair may be needed

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with JB and will add, pull the motor, drill the holes out until you find solid wood, then fill with epoxy and try again

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I replaced the motor mounts. I just noticed that one of the holes was slightly stripped out. The other 3 are good. They're not soft at all. They hold the weight of the motor +. Even with the weight of the motor resting on the fiberglass, that didn't affect the alignment. I checked it with my alignment tool.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If it were me I'd cut the top off the mount and IF what you're describing it indeed true and the rest of the mount is solid, I'd fill this one bad spot with a chunck of Douglas fir and then encase it with Hairy PB and the re-glass the top. 2 hour job.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No way to tell if the wood is solid underneath just by virtue of the mount supporting the engine without appearing to need realignment. Big difference between holding up that 7.4L and holding up under 350 applied horsepower torquing hard against those bolts.