Hoping there's no hull damage

Ragin'Cajun

Cadet
Last summer I bought a 1986 Cajun Fishing Machine. I plugged the two livewells, the holes in the upper rear, and the hole in the bottom rear but when I unplug the hole in the bottom rear there water still coming out. Is there a hole I missed or is there hull damage. I want to make this a good boat but I'm tired of sinking money into it already.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a few things to note. a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. the name BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand

the truth about your boat is it is 30 years old. you may have water soaked wood and foam. have you tested the foam, stringers and transom for water/rot?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here are a few links

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...r/295740-how-to-s-and-other-great-information

to check your transom, drill a few test holes (I use 3/8" bot) about 1/2" deep into the fiberglass encapsulated wood transom down low. if the shavings are light colored and dry, simply plug the holes with epoxy and go boating. if the shavings are wet and dark, that is indication of water logged and rotting wood

to check your stringers, drill a few test holes into the stringers, about 1/2" up from the hull.

to check the foam, use a piece of pvc, sharpen the edge, file a few teeth into it, then take a core sample to the bottom of the hull (like coring an apple). if the core comes back full of water, or you see water in the foam, you have waterlogged foam.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral